The Unicorn is a CBS Dramedy series that premiered in 2019, starring Walton Goggins, Rob Corddry, and Michaela Watkins.
Wade is a widower with two daughters who thinks he's been doing a good job dealing with his grief in the wake of his wife's death. His friends, meanwhile, see that he's barely holding it together and want to help him move on.
When the floodgates finally open and Wade begins making tentative steps towards the next phase in his life, his friends urge him to capitalize on his status as a "unicorn": a middle-aged man with a stable home life who isn't single as a result of divorce.
The show was cancelled after its second season.
This show provides examples of:
- Bumbling Dad: Deconstructed. Wade's introduced as a fairly typical single TV dad, with a messy house and two daughters who are given free rein. However, this is because he's been spinning his wheels since his wife passed away. Once he begins processing his grief properly, the house gets cleaned up and he gets his kids back in line.
- Clueless Chick-Magnet: Years out of the dating pool have left Wade blind to the attention women give him.
- Food as Bribe: Michelle bribes Ben to come home from the bar with chocolate ice cream.
- Happily Married: It's stressed constantly that Wade had an extremely loving relationship with his wife before she died. Forrest & Della and Ben & Michelle also have happy marriages.
- Intoxication Ensues: Forrest comes to a dinner party high as a kite after partaking of "edibles" at an office party.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits: Wade matches with Michelle's sister, Meg, on a dating app. Michelle tells him not to click on Meg's profile.
- Parent with New Paramour: The show's central concept is that Wade is starting to date again and his daughters want him to find someone he's happy to share his life with.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Forrest occasionally drops words and phrases he thinks are cool, but Ben always tells him bluntly that he can't pull it off.
- Title Drop: Michelle dubs Wade a "unicorn" in the pilot episode, with his other friends chiming in agreement with the description.Delia: You are a devoted father. You are a devoted husband. And, not for nothing, you haven't had sex with anyone besides Jill in like 20 years. So, you're factory fresh, buddy!
Forrest: Technically, he's, like certified pre-owned.
Delia: Why do you gotta put your own spin on everything?