In 1934, Sira Quiroga is a simple seamstress in Madrid. She works with her mother in a couture workshop and is engaged to Ignacio, a mild-mannered civil servant. She turns her life upside down when she meets a suave typewriter salesman who sweeps her off her feet, but is left high and dry when he vanishes and abandons her with a pile of problems. Sira is forced to build a new life for herself in Morocco. But just as her life starts to settle, the Germans and British struggle for influence over Spain on the eve of the Second World War, and Sira's trusted position as seamstress to the elite pulls her into the world of international espionage.
The miniseries, also known as El Tiempo Entre Costuras, is based on Maria Duenas's novel of the same name. Like the novel, it was originally produced in 2013 in Spanish by Boomerang TV for Antena 3, then was given English subtitles for its release on English-speaking platforms including Netflix.
This series provides examples of:
- Adaptational Heroism: In the novel, Ignacio harasses Sira as long as possible, while in the adaptation, he has a HeelFace Turn and helps her help Paquita.
- Affably Evil: Many of the Nazis and Nazi sympathizers are remarkably polite and pleasant, even when discussing their politics. Manuel da Silva, in particular, is downright charming, despite being a ruthless boss who puts out hits on those he believes betray his trust.
- Almost Kiss: Several between Marcus and Sira, often getting interrupted by other characters.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Given the setting, pretty much every one of the espionage agents is dressed impeccably but is fully capable of deadly action when necessary.
- Beach Episode: One episode during the Morocco arc features Rosalinda, Sira, Felix, and Marcus taking an impromptu trip to the beach to get away from their problems in Tetuoan.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Mildly between Marcus and Sira, particularly when they are both in the middle of espionage activities but don't know the other is too.
- Berserk Button: When he returns, Ignacio maintains an icy calm demeanor, but any reminder of Ramiro sets him off.