The pilot was shown along with The Room in late 2014, and the series premiered on Hulu in March of 2015. Not to be confused with the 2012 sci-fi series, the Australian soap opera Neighbours, several films with a similar title, or the short-lived 70s game show hosted by Regis Philbin.
This series provides examples of:
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: The Tommy Wiseau-brand underwear the characters wear is often taken to be a Bland-Name Product of Tommy Hilfiger underwear. In fact, Wiseau really does have his own underwear brand, so it's more of a Product Placement.
- Borrowed Catch Phrase: "What a day; That's what Charlie would say," said by Ricky Rick in episode four. It's hard to tell if it was intended to be a borrowed catch phrase or if Wiseau simply forgot which character he was and said it before covering himself.
- Bebe also uses this catch phrase in one episode.
- Catch-Phrase: "What a day!"
- Department of Redundancy Department: "I heard you got a gun for free and you didn't pay anything?"
- Embarrassing Nickname: Bebe used to call her sister "Sloppy Susie" when they were kids.
- Establishing Shot: The exact same shot—that of the outside of the apartment building while a synth riff plays—is used for every single scene transition.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Patricia
- Manchild: Ricky Rick
- Ms. Fanservice: Some of the female cast members wear bikinis, showing off their bodies and cleavage.
- No Indoor Voice: Troy for starters. Cici takes it Up to Eleven.
- Pink Means Feminine: Philadelphia is obsessed with the color pink. (Her television is even hastily painted pink)
- Public Domain Soundtrack: The 1812 Overture, used as the opening theme.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Troy when he pays rent by cash to Charlie and Bebe: "100! 200! 300!"
- Spiritual Successor: To The Room. People greet each other with the infamous "Oh hai!", an obsession with sports (football and basketball), a case of Dawson Casting (Denny and Ricky Rick), subplots involving drugs and significant characters suddenly disappearing (Peter and Charlie).
- Trademark Favorite Food: Tim likes ice cream.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Tommy Wiseau's accent, of course. Still as impossible to place as it has always been.