The Kennedys is a historical drama miniseries showing the lives of members of the Kennedy family, with historical events and personal tragedies the family goes through.
It aired in April 2011 on Reelz Channel and History Television.
A sequel miniseries, The Kennedys After Camelot, was released in 2017.
Tropes for the miniseries include:
- The '60s: Set throughout the '60s. The Cold War is shown via the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Bay of Pigs invasion, and the fifth episode deals with the Civil Rights Movement and desegregation.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: During an argument with Governor Barnett over Barnett's refusal to desegregate the University of Mississippi, JFK threatens, if Barnett doesn't comply with the Supreme Court ruling, to pull Mississippi's Federal bailouts, cut Barnett's poultry subsidies, and have the NCAA expel Mississippi from the March Madness tournament.
- Character Death:
- John is assassinated in the seventh episode.
- Robert is killed in the eighth and final episode.
- Historical Domain Character:
- Period Piece: Set throughout the 1960s.
- Really Dead Montage: Used when Bobby is killed.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Robert Bobby Kennedy, who is presented as better than the rest of his family and lacks his brothers womanizing nature, gets assassinated after winning the California primary.