The Kennedys is a historical drama miniseries showing the lives of members of the Kennedy family, with historical events and personal tragedies the family goes through.
It aired in April 2011 on Reelz Channel and History Television.
A sequel miniseries, The Kennedys After Camelot, was released in 2017.
Tropes for the miniseries include:
- The '60s: Set throughout the '60s. The Cold War is shown via the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Bay of Pigs invasion, and the fifth episode deals with the Civil Rights Movement and desegregation.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: During an argument with Governor Barnett over Barnett's refusal to desegregate the University of Mississippi, JFK threatens, if Barnett doesn't comply with the Supreme Court ruling, to pull Mississippi's Federal bailouts, cut Barnett's poultry subsidies, and have the NCAA expel Mississippi from the March Madness tournament.
- Character Death:
- John is assassinated in the seventh episode.
- Robert is killed in the eighth and final episode.
- Historical Domain Character:
- It's All My Fault: Bobby blames himself for the assassination of his brother, fearing that the enemies he made during his career killed Jack in revenge for his actions. Ethel is quick to assure him that this is not the case.
- Period Piece: Set throughout the 1960s.
- Really Dead Montage: Used when Bobby is killed.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Robert “Bobby” Kennedy, who is presented as better than the rest of his family and lacks his brother’s womanizing nature, gets assassinated after winning the California primary.