The Jim Jefferies Show is a satirical late-night talk show hosted by Jim Jefferies, where he discusses relvant news of the week with a comedic spin. Unlike many of his talk show neighbors, Jefferies doesn't focus on guest appearances, mainly relying on his own act to carry it. The show is also notable for interviews with various figures, and for early on in its run featuring skits with Brad Pitt as the weatherman.
The show began airing on Comedy Central on June 6, 2017. Initially planned as ten episodes, it was later extended to twenty. The show was renewed for a second season on January 15, 2018, and for a third season on January 30, 2019.
Tropes associated with this show include:
- The Cameo: The show got a lot of early publicity for having Brad Pitt appear as the show's weatherman.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: You can expect Jim to do this. For example, when he visited Melania Trump's hometown of Sevnica, Slovenia:
- He first visited a bakery who sold a "Melania Cake":Jim: This is the Melania Cake. This is white chocolate?
Bakery Owner: White because she goes to the White House.
Jim: So everything is white? The Trumps would love this.
- Then, when he visited another bakery:Jim: That's the Melania pie. [looking at the other desserts] And these are kept separate. Almost as if there's a wall between them so they can't come over into this desssert cupboard.
- He first visited a bakery who sold a "Melania Cake":
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: More like pushing the crap through the radar until the radar breaks:
- During his visit to Melania Trump's hometown, he went to Melania's birthplace, and found a cat in front of it:Jim: Can we get a picture of the cat? Melania's cat? [to his tour guide] Do you want to grab it a bit, Yanas? I'm famous, it lets me do it. When you're famous, you can do things like this.
- When NBA player Steph Curry refused an invitation to the White House, and President Donald Trump stated that he was withdrawing the invitation because Curry "hesitated", Jim took it upon himself to make it clear to the President that Curry had flat-out refused:Jim: Just think of Steph Curry like Melania: Not coming.
- During his visit to Melania Trump's hometown, he went to Melania's birthplace, and found a cat in front of it:
- Incredibly Lame Pun: When discussing Brett Kavanaugh and "victimhood", he jokes about carrying his calendars with him at all times "just in case".
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: When Jim showed a study that stated that 58% of people had a negative view on college education against 36% who found it positive, Jim said that the remaining 6% thinks that chocolate milk comes from brown cows. He then stated that he was joking... before saying that it's actually 7% who believe that and showing an article reporting it.
- Stealth Pun: In one episode, Jim sent four correspondents to Politicoan, and the African-American correspondent interviewed an African American man wearing a "Make America Great Again" cap, and at one point asked him if he would vote in an election if he didn't like the candidates or policies on the ballot, when the guy said no, he was asked what he would do, and the guy said that during the election he'd stay in his house. The correspondent said he looks like the type who belongs inside a house. The correspondent essentially called the guy a "house negro."note