A childrens Kid Com series broadcast on ABC Me and distributed by Netflix outside of Australia and New Zealand. Executive Producers Robyn Butler and Wayne Hope previously wrote the 2015 Australian TV series Little Lunch. Both shows use a mockumentary format.
When Ezra is tasked to look after Maudie, the new kid at school, he discovers her keen observation and puzzle solving skills and proposes forming a detective agency. Together with their fellow 5th grade classmates, athletic Kyle and the always cheerful Ava, the foursome are a pint-sized investigative team who work out of a granny flat (guest house) in Ezras backyard.
Season One began airing on June 21, 2019, while its international debut on Netflix happened on August 9, 2019.
This show provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Three of the four detectives have one, with Ezra Banks being the odd man out.
- Ambiguous Syntax: From The Case of the Turtle Thief:Ava: Anyway, I was away at my cousins wedding so you need to say what happened.Kyle: They got married?Ava: Not at the wedding. To you guys!
- Aside Glance: Happens quite often, particularly by Ezra, usually after Kyle says something.
- Big Brother Instinct: Although he doesnt want to admit it, Ezra cares deeply for his little sister Poppy. The Case of the Sad Little Sister highlights their relationship.
- Brutal Honesty: Kyle doesn't mince words.Kyle: Also, I'm having a sleepover at Ezra's and we were really bored.Ezra: Thanks.
- Darker and Edgier: For a kids show, several episodes touch on heavier topics including bullying, parents getting divorced, a struggling family business, and Maudies mother getting sick.
- First-Name Basis: Ezra repeatedly tries to be on a first-name basis with Principal McGillick.Ezra: Luckily, Henry and I are tight.Principal McGillick: Dont call me Henry.
- Funny Background Event:
- Each episode has one or more of the crew recapping their latest case for their vlog while multitasking on something unrelated, such as cleaning a refrigerator, fixing a printer, or practicing first aid.
- In The Case of the Wrecked Rehearsal, Ava loses it because Pixie didnt finish painting the sets for their play. Pixie can be seen frantically painting in the background, even during the actual play.
- Heroic BSoD: Happens to Maudie when she loses her notebook in The Case of the Very Lost Notebook.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Each episode starts with The Case of the...
- I Have This Friend...: Kyle mentions needing a grey blankie with elephants on it to fall asleep, quickly followed by saying that he read about it in a book about a boy that wasnt him.
- I Never Said It Was Poison: Maudie uses this on a couple of suspects to get them to unintentionally confess.Maudie: Hi, Im Maudie. Im the one who answered Ezras phone on Thursday.Luka: Friday.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: In "The Case of the Peculiar Pop Quiz," Ava repeatedly goes out of her way to claim that Kelly wanted to hire both Maudie and Ezra as tutors, because she knew Ezra would see it when he edited the video.
- Kid Detective: Maudie, Ezra, Ava, and Kyle are all technically this, though it best describes Maudie.
- Mockumentary: Each 15-minute episode features one (or more) of the team vlogging about a case they had just solved.
- New Transfer Student: While the details of her past arent disclosed, Maudie is new to the school and to Ezra, Ava, and Kyles fifth grade class. Ezra is tasked by the principal to look after her as his special project.
- Role Swap Plot: When Maudie loses her notebook, she becomes the hapless victim and the usually clueless Kyle is the one who manages to put the clues together to find it.
- Sand In My Eyes: Ezra claims his sniffles were due to dust in the shelter shed, not from being upset because his little sister was being bullied.
- Sore Loser: Kyle after losing the 100-meter race to another student, which sets off an investigation that leads to a cheating conspiracy.
- Stolen by Staying Still: An accidental version occurs in "The Case of the Misplaced Mug" when it turns out Principal McGillick's 'World's Best Principal' mug never left his office at all. It was accidentally placed in the recycling bun because of his habit of covering it with a folder to keep it warm when he left the office.
- Surprise Party: Ava successfully throws one for Maudie, who Never Had a Birthday Party. She's aided by Ezra, Kyle, and Maudie's father.