The Five is a Sky Original crime drama/thriller by the popular US author Harlan Coben released in 2016. The show centers around four friends, Mark, Danny, Slade, and Pru. 20 years ago, Mark's brother Jesse went missing while playing in the park, and new evidence had been found towards where he might be, after his DNA appears to show up at a crime scene.
A sequel series called The Four was announced in later 2016, but no release date has been confirmed yet.
The Five contains examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Pru is revealed to have had a severe problem with alcohol in the past. As things start to unravel for her, she falls off the wagon. She's seen out at the bar frequently after this until Mark stops her.
- Criminal Mind Games: Jakob Marosi, a convicted serial killer doing life, appears to entertain himself by messing with the family of Jesse Wells and the police by falsely claiming he killed Jesse then leading them on a wild goose chase for the body.
- False Confession: Jakob Marosi confessed to killing Jesse. As he did kill other children, this was believed until Jesse's blood turns up at another crime scene. It's revealed he'd targeted Jesse and really did plan to murder him, but was stopped by Frank intervening. He then confessed just to screw with Jesse's family. Years later, he even led police to where he'd supposedly buried Jesse. It turns out to be a different victim of his.
- I Will Find You: Mark has been searching for Jesse since he went missing, for 20 years.
- Morality Kitchen Sink: Mark is a decent person, who just wants to find Jesse. Pru is an alcoholic, but also a decent person at heart. Slade is decent and devoted to helping homeless young people, but willing to kill. Frank is also sympathetic in spite of his crimes, along with Payne. But then you have people all the way down the scale, like Jakob Marosi.
- Murderers Are Rapists: Jakob Marosi turns out to not just be a serial killer but also a serial rapist.
- Rape as Drama:
- Jakob Marosi raped and killed 5 children.
- Jay Newman kidnapped, imprisoned and raped at least five women.
- The Reveal: Karl is really Jesse Wells. He was kidnapped by his birth father, in grief at losing his daughters, then given another identity and raised by him.
- Serial Killer: Jakob Marosi is one. He confessed to murdering five children and it turns out murdered even more.
- Serial Rapist:
- Jakob Marosi's second stage of his ritual turned out to be "pain", i.e. raping children.
- Jay Newman is a serial rapist too, who kidnaps and imprisons his many victims.
- Who's Your Daddy?: It turns out that Jesse was really fathered by Frank, a neighbor whom his mother had an affair with. She suspected he might be the father, but insisted otherwise to Frank.
- Would Hurt a Child: Jakob Marosi is a serial rapist/killer of children who's serving a life sentence.