The Chris Rock Show is a late-night comedy talk show featured on HBO which ran from 1997 to 2000. It was created by Chris Rock and featured many humorous skits and sketches, as well as interviews with various guests including George Carlin, Bernie Mac and Wanda Sykes.
This show provides examples of the following tropes:
- Absurdly Long Wait: Parodied with a skit about "The Make You Wait Hair Salon", where due to various factors like overbooking and incredibly inattentive stylists, clients wait for so long some of them have actually died.
- Attack of the Political Ad: During the 2000 US Presidential Election, the show aired the spoof "Mike Tyson for President" ads, which featured footage from Mike Tyson interviews admitting to things like being a convicted rapist and "a semi-good husband".
- Briefs Boasting: When Outkast was on the show in 2000, Andre 3000 came out and performed in briefs, ski boots, and a rainbow pipe-cleaner cape.
- Disco Dan: There was a fictitious TV movie called "Daddy Still Has a Flattop", about a black man, played by Chris Rock, who still wears an 80s flattop hairdo by the late 90s, embarrassing his wife and son.
- Guy on Guy Is Hot: There was a skit where two men cross paths on the street and it looks like they're about to fight and they make out instead. All you can hear from the audience is women squeeing. You can watch it here (even if the end was just spoiled out of necessity).
- I Was Quite a Fashion Victim: In the first episode of The Chris Rock Show, Chris Rock claims he's actually the second Chris Rock, much like how there were two Lionels on The Jeffersons. He shows a picture of "the original Chris", which is a picture of himself with a Jheri curl hairdo.
- N-Word Privileges: Frequently parodied, such as this parody commercial for a cereal called "Nigga Please".