The Amazing Spider-Man was the first Live-Action Adaptation of Spider-Man that aired on CBS from 1977 to 1979, starting with a pilot movie titled simply Spider-Man and starring Nicholas Hammond as the web-slinger.
The series goes for a more realistic route and has Spider-Man tackle ordinary criminals rather than supervillains.
The Amazing Spider-Man provides examples of:
- Adapted Out: The only characters from the comic aside from Spider-Man himself to appear in the series are J. Jonah Jameson, Robbie Robertson, Aunt May, and Farley Stillwell in a cameo role.
- Compilation Movie: The show's two two-part episodes, "The Deadly Dust" and "The Chinese Web", were both edited into movies, the former into Spider-Man Strikes Back and the latter into Spider-Man: The Dragon's Challenge.
- Continuity Cameo: The episode "Wolfpack" features an appearance by a scientist with a nametag reading "Stillwell", alluding to Dr. Farley Stillwell, who in the comics was responsible for the creation of the villain Scorpion.
- Dropped After the Pilot: Robbie Robertson makes no appearances outside of the pilot.
- Expy: Rita Conway for Glory Grant, and Doctor Moon for Miles Warren (the Jackal).
- Leitmotif: Spider-Man has his own theme music, which frequently plays while he's spying on and fighting criminals.
- Pilot Movie: The 1977 television film Spider-Man served as a pilot for this series.