Swinging is an Australian children's television series which ran on The ABC for one season of 15 episodes in 1997. It centers around the lives of the Turveys, a family of anthropomorphic monkeys consisting of a father named Augustus, a mother named Filameena, a daughter named Rosy, and a baby son named Tipsy.
Swinging contains the following tropes:
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Rosy has two monkey friends named Mitzi and Theodore, who have pink and red fur respectively.
- And Your Reward Is Edible: One episode has the Turveys entering a competition and winning a huge supply of bananas as their prize.
- Bland-Name Product: The beginning of the episode "Get Lost" shows Rosy and one of her friends playing a fictional version of Milton Bradley's Twister called "Tangles".
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Of course.
- Flower in Her Hair: Rosy has a flower placed in her hair as a decoration in "The Big Sneeze". This flower turns out to be what's making Augustus and the others sneeze so much, not Rosy herself as they had suspected.
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal: The monkeys all wear a shirt and pants.
- Gilligan Cut: In the episode "The Visit", Theodore says he'd be happy to help Rosy to do anything to make sure Mitzi doesn't see Rosy's parents as embarrassing when she comes over. Cut to Rosy dressing up Theodore as a female (she's using him as a fake Mitzi for the parents to practice not being embarrassing on), to which the latter replies he's not very happy about it.
- Medium Blending: The otherwise live-action intro has a few animated clips in it.
- Plot Allergy: The episode "The Big Sneeze" is about Augustus suddenly sneezing constantly and thinking he might have an allergy to his daughter Rosy.
- Punny Name: The Turvey family. The name "Turvey" is a reference to the term "topsy-turvy"; this becomes more apparent by one of the family members being named Tipsy Turvey.
- Title Theme Tune: The theme song repeats the words "I'm Swinging!" a few times.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Augustus has a green-colored hairdo on his head. Similarly, Filameena has a head of bright red hair and Rosy has pink hair.