So Little Time was a short-lived sitcom starring Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. It ran from 2001-2002 on ABC Family, its first 3 months being on Fox Family. The show revolved around 2 twins, Riley and Chloe, whose parents have separated but still live very close to each other in Malibu. Their parents had been successful fashion designers before the split, but the father Jake had a midlife crisis and decided to leave for Malibu. They also lived with their snarky housekeeper Manuelo. Most of the show was about the girl's lives, school, boys, wacky situations, and the question of whether their parents would get back together.
Think Sister, Sister with Mary-Kate and Ashley instead of Tia and Tamara Mowry.
Tropes used by the series:
- Accidental Kiss: In an episode when Riley accidentally kisses Larry after they win an award for community service, she walks around in a terrified trance for the rest of the episode, compulsively repeating, "I didn't do that, I didn't do that, I didn't do that, it never happened. I didn't do that, I didn't do that, I didn't do that, it never happened..."
- Battle of the Bands: In "Larrypalooza".
- Bowdlerize: Nickelodeon's airings of "True Lies" cut out Jake's "Wonder if I'm gay?" line.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Riley and Chloe would occasionally address the audience directly...usually in the lifeguard station on the beach.
- Catchphrase: "I don't hate it."
- Clip Show: Look Who's Talking.
- Deadpan Snarker: Manuelo.
- Disguised in Drag: Larry wears a dress and wig to prevent Riley and Chloe from attending an illegal party at school.
- Forgotten Birthday: Inverted. Riley and Chloe themselves choose to forego their sweet sixteen birthday party before deciding it might actually be fun.
- Funny Foreigner: Manuelo
- "The Hero Sucks" Song: In "The Volunteer", Larry sings one about his girlfriend Cammie and then Cammie sings one about Larry to get back at him. They get back together at the end though.
- Hollywood Darkness: Averted with a scene in "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", where Riley and Chloe sleep in their room to be "fashionably late" to the party. Once the lights are turned off, the screen goes black.
- Instant Soprano: Jake suffers this in "True Lies" when getting a Manuelo Meal shoved down his pants.
- Love Dodecahedron: Larry's father falls in love with Macy while Riley and Chloe's teacher falls in love with Jake.
- Love Triangle: Between Riley, Larry and Tony
- Obfuscating Disability: Riley goes to school in a wheelchair to get the attention of a paraplegic whom she has a crush on.
- Polar Opposite Twins
- Real-Life Relative: Mary Kate and Ashley, of course.
- Real Song Theme Tune: The show's theme song was (what else?) "So Little Time" by Arkarna.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Larry's pretty good at sewing.
- Shout-Out: "Juicy Juice is for closers!"
- Take That!: "I blame the media" in Larrypalooza.
- Tomboyish Name: Riley
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Larry to Riley
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Manuelo models a dress that Macy had just designed and sewn together. Luckily, Manuelo doesn't hate it.
- Zany Scheme