Sirens is a British comedy/drama series focusing on the lives of three ambulance-men and a policewoman, and their roles in a rather truthful (but bleak) depiction of modern-day life.
Stars of the show are: Stuart Bayldon (Rhys Thomas), a Nietzsche Wannabe who has daddy issues; Ashley Greenwick (Richard Madden), a private promiscuous gay man who happens to be Stuart's best friend and co-worker; Rachid Mansaur (Kayvan Novak), the new guy who gets to learn valuable life lessons; and Sgt Maxine Fox (Amy Beth Hayes), who is desperate for a boyfriend. She is a very close friend to Stuart, and they're only "friends".
It's based on the book Blood, Sweat & Tea by Tom Reynolds, a nurse and former emergency medical technician for the London Ambulance Service.
Contains the following tropes:
- Black Is Bigger in Bed: Discussed when Ash attempts to date Ryan. Things don't go so well because of it.
- Change the Uncomfortable Subject: Generally one every episode; whether it be abandonment issues, what type of blokes you're into or that you've developed a phobia.
- The Cynic: Many of the characters, but the grand prize goes to Stuart.Maxine: You live for your porn and you loathe humanity.Stuart: That's because humanity is loathsome.
- Deadpan Snarker: Pretty much everybody has their moments.
- Decomposite Character: Stuart, Ash, Rachid and arguably even Maxine to Tom Reynolds, after a fashion. Most of the calls they attend are based on things that happened to Reynolds at work, and some aspects of their personalities are informed by this: Stuart's baggage arising from his father deserting the family as a child are taken from some posts Reynolds made on his blog, including the part where he ends up transporting his estranged father to hospital and they quite definitely do not bury the hatchet, and Maxine's inability to start and maintain a stable relationship is a trait she shares with him even if she's a lot more bothered about it.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Stuart's attempt to explain why when he's so horny he can't be trusted with anybody but Maxine.
- Driven to Suicide
- Drives Like Crazy: Rachid is treated as such, but Stuart doesn't seem much better.
- Dr. Jerk: Stuart.
- Emotions Versus Stoicism: A running theme, with the boys usually coming down on the side of stoicism and the therapist practically begging them to get in touch with their emotions.
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex
- Firemen Are Hot: "Women love firemen. Look at them, I can feel their wombs vibrating."
- Incurable Cough of Death: Pitiably attempted by a school-boy trying to get out of Rugby. Unbelievably his mother is fooled by this.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Stuart is insufferably superior, a bit of a know-it-all, bossy, and largely selfish, but he also seems to truly enjoy helping people and he's willing to encourage Maxine's relationship with Craig (albeit with an eye on them breaking up soon) so she can stay calm and pass her tests.
- The Jinx: Fat Paul.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Both Ash and Stuart show tendencies toward this; they seem fairly cynical and disillusioned, but they still dedicate their lives to helping others as paramedics. Rachid is (so far) a bit more optimistic.
- Manly Tears
- M.D. Envy: Quite a bit of tension between the doctors and our trio.
- Naked People Are Funny
- Playing Sick: See Above.
- Police Brutality: A blink-and-you-miss-it moment where Maxine knocks out a guy stealing from the back of an ambulance while "checking the time".
- Really Gets Around: Ash. Or at least it is implied. Oddly enough he is the only main character who never succeeds in any of his on-screen sexual conquests.
- The Snark Knight: Stuart.
- Stage Whisper: It's either this or our characters are very indiscreet. It's more likely it's the latter.
- Stiff Upper Lip: Even knowing the biological mechanisms behind stress, trauma, anxiety, and other effects of being an emergency worker, Stuart never stops trying to "beat" his emotions/body chemistry and suppress his natural responses. His levels of success vary.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted, much to our characters' chagrin.
- Working with the Ex: Ash and Ryan.