Louis Ciccone (played by Louis del Grandenote ) is a minor reporter working for a minor Toronto newspaper. One day his boss sends him to cover the divorce proceedings for a minor local celebrity, but he wanders into the wrong courtroom, where one skid row bum is being tried for the murder of another skid row bum. Before he can leave, he is struck by a postcognitive vision, showing that the accused is innocent.
Louis now has the problem of convincing the Crown Prosecutor, Heather Redfern, that she's prosecuting the wrong guy, and that he, Louis, isn't crazy. He also calls on the help of his estranged wife, Marge, whenever he needs a ride somewhere, because Louis can't drive.
Each new episode has Louis being drawn into other murder investigations, with only Redfern, and Marge, knowing about his visions.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In one episode, Louis responds to a question with "I don't know. We'll probably find out before the next commercial break."
- Dumpster Dive: One episode has Louis and his Crown Attorney friend searching a dumpster for a syringe, which proves embarrassing considering they attract the attention of a Salvation Army officer who is convinced they are homeless.
- Eagleland Osmosis: In one episode, Louis asks a judge if he can approach the bench. The judge then reminds him that no one "approaches the bench" in a Canadian court, and suggests that he watches too many American courtroom shows.
- How Unscientific!: The series was usually squarely in the Mundane Fantastic camp, with Louis' precognitive flashes as the single fantastic element. However, in one very out-of-character episode, a mysterious, befuddled old man found wandering the streets of Toronto and claiming to be an alien actually turns out to be an alien, complete with anti-gravity levitation powers and a laser battle with hostile reptilian aliens in a Toronto park.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode title is a pun or reference based on something to do with eyes or vision: "If Looks Could Kill", "Blind Alley", "Gifted Pupils", "A Vision In White", etc.
- Intrepid Reporter: Louis is one who usually finds himself seriously out of his depth.
- Psychic Powers: Louis is a postcognitive.