The show revolves around a fictional upper-class family, the Sarabhais, that live in a luxurious apartment in the city of Mumbai. The family consists of:
- Indravadan Sarabhai (Played by Satish Shah), a rich businessman who likes to play pranks. He is mischievous and usually picks on his younger son, Roshesh.
- Maya Sarabhai (Played by Ratna Pathak), Indravadan's wife, a socialite. She constantly mocks her daughter-in-law Monisha for being too "Middle Class."
- Sahil Sarabhai (Played by Sumeet Raghvan), The son of Indravadan and Maya. He is a doctor by a profession.
- Monisha Sarabhai (Played by Rupali Ganguly), The wife of Sahil. She is constantly picked upon by Maya for her strange habits. She can get very emotional and is quite naive. She is also an extremely terrible cook, and serves stale or burnt food to her husband.
- Rosesh Sarabhai (Played by Rajesh Kumar), the younger son of Indravadan and Maya. He suffers from a speech disorder, so his voice is shrill and high-pitched. He is a wannabe theater actor and poet. However, his roles are usually weird (such as the Wind or Milk) and his poetry is strange, nonsensical and onomatopoeic. He is also very attached to his mother, Maya. Indravadan picks on him for being a "Momma's Boy".
The series also has a host of supporting characters, like gadget-freak Dushyant, hard-of-hearing Madhusudhan and Tarot reader Sonya.
The series ran for 80 episodes spread across two seasons on Star One, and as of 2015 it has also been made available on the streaming service Hotstar.
Sarabhai vs Sarabhai contains examples of:
- Maya - "It's so middle class!"
- Also Dushyant's "I'll explain!" and Madhusudhan's "Hein?"
- Creator Cameo: Aatish Kapadia (the writer) appears as a poet on one of the episodes.
- Crossover: A two-parter episode had a crossover with Khichdi, called "Khichdi with Sarabhai" in which both casts celebreate International Family Week together.
- Crystal Ball : A mystic shows the Sarabhais their future in one in the finale episode.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Rosesh's voice is much deeper in the earlier episodes. His way of talking is also different.
- Honey Trap: In "Sunehri", Mallika Sherawat guest stars as a Head-Turning Beauty maid that works for both Sahil and Indravadans houses and cleans them literally, by using her beauty and charm to con Rosesh and Indu.
- Hypocritical Humor: Maya's philanthropic acts - such as helping alcohol-abused children, by hosting a cocktail party.
- Laugh Track: In the earlier episodes.
- Literal-Minded: Dushyant repeats the same sentence if someone responds "What are you saying?"
- Lethal Chef: Monisha's cooking skills are so poor one episode has Maya losing her voice after eating her food.
- Mr. Fixit: Dushyant loves to repair things. He often drops by to check if all gadgets are working fine.
- Season Finale: A mystic shows the Sarabhais their future.
- The Prankster: Indravadan. His pranks usually target Rosesh.
- Title Sequence: On YouTube
- Versus Title: Sarabhai vs Sarabhai.
- Whole Episode Flashback: Two. One that showed how Indravadan and Maya met. The other was about the marriage of Sahil and Monisha.