SMILFnote is an Showtime comedy series starring Frankie Shaw as a young woman struggling with the hassle of single motherhood.
Tropes included in SMILF:
- Amicable Exes: Brigitte and Rafi get along very well despite not being together anymore.
- Dating Service Disaster: Brigitte runs across her own father on Tinder.
- Deadpan Snarker: Brigitte.
- Embarrassing Nickname: After a nipple-slip photo goes viral, Nelson is stuck with the sobriquet "Hard-Nipples Nelson."
- Fun with Acronyms: The series title, of course, and every season 2 episode title can use SMILF as an acronym.
- Gender-Blender Name: Rafi's girlfriend Nelson Rose.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Nelson Rose.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode is named after two items of food eaten during the episode.
- Imagine Spot: A dark one where she imagines a temp agency suggesting prostitution for her as a career.
- Land Down Under: Samara Weaving keeps her natural Australian accent to play Nelson Rose.
- Meaningful Name: Brigitte's son Larry is named after Boston basketball legend Larry Bird.
- Similarly, Nelson Rose got her first name in honor of Nelson Mandella.
- Nice Girl: Nelson Rose is incredibly sweet and good-natured and gets along really well with Brigitte and Larry. She even enjoys waiting in line.
- Off the Wagon: Her ex Rafi is a recovering addict; he slips and takes some pain pills after a stressful day.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Nelson Rose is pretty clearly based on Teresa Palmer who is also blonde, Australian, a Granola Girl and is married to Frankie Shaw's ex-boyfriend Mark Webber.
- Rape as Backstory: Brigitte was molested as a child.
- Whole Plot Reference: "Run Brigitte Run" is a takeoff of Run Lola Run.