Rock of Love is a VH1 reality television dating game show starring Deadpan Snarker Bret Michaels (the lead singer of Poison) and his penis. The show closely resembles its sister show, Flavor of Love, which had the same premise and format.
The 3 seasons each feature (approximately) 20 women competing to be Michaels' girlfriend. Each week the women face challenges, the winner of which gets to go on a date with Michaels. Some of the challenges were based on situations they might encounter if they would actually become Michaels' girlfriend (read: alcohol, rock, sex, alcohol, porn, motorcrossing, rock and alcohol).
Like Flavor of Love, the show got its own spinoff in Charm School format. Many of the contestants also returned on I Love Money, alongside people from Flavor of Love and its other sister show I Love New York.
Unlike Flavor of Love, our eligible bachelor this time around is a sarcastic, level-headed millionaire with an active career. This gives the show its own unique atmosphere, setting it apart from most of VH1's reality shows — in a good way.
- Bret Michaels: Life As I Know It
- Megan Wants A Millionaire
- Series/Daisy Of Love
- I Love Money
- Rock of Love: Charm School
This series provides examples of the following:
- 80sHair: Heather convinces the two date winners to tease their hair up for Brett, then makes dun of them. Joke's one Heather when Brett loves the look.
- The Swedish triplets Daisy eliminates in the first episode, dubbed 85, 86, and 87.
- The Alcoholic: Courtney was completely smashed even before the first elimination... and later at Charm School, she did it again. She's definitely not the only heavy drinker on this show, though.
- Tiffany, Brandi M, Lacey, Brandi C, Heather, Gia, Nikki, Brittaney, Marcia, Kelsey, Farrah, Brittanya, Ashley, and Beverly also count. Marcia's particularly bad, but it becomes her major goal as of Charm School.
- Arch-Nemesis: Lacey and
Dallas Jeseveryone in season one; Daisy and Heather in season two.
- To a lesser extent, Taya and Ashley in season three.
- Battle Butler: Big John
- Black-and-Gray Morality: Though Dallas' way of treating animals was disgusting, she had still more supporters than Lacey.
- Lacey touted herself as an animal rights activist, and her Charm School t-shirt had a message of universal love and compassion...yet she manipulated everyone and caused fights, to near-sociopath levels. Even when she tried to cry or show some human emotion, it was part of a game plan.
- Catchphrase : Farrah's "What the French?"
- Clip Show: The second to last episode, consisting almost entirely of hilarious unseen footage.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Tamara:
- "I'm like, Bret... girl."
- Constandina was made out to be this.
- Brittaney in Season 3...who stole everyone's socks.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Heather pulling Daisy's hair and pounding the back of her head on the Season 2 reunion.
- Marcia choking Ashley after pouring a beer on her.
- Natasha pushing Kelsey off the stage at the reunion definitely qualifies, but very little was actually shown.
- Egg Sitting : Played with when each team has to take a baby doll through a roller derby course. The team with the least battered baby at the end wins.
- Elimination Catch Phrase: "Your tour ends here."
- Everyone Looks Sexier if French: How Angelique tries to charm Bret.
- Heel Realization: Lacey realizes halfway through Charm School that her "pranks" are really, really hurting people.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Kristia and Brandi C, the "Barbie Twins."
- Hidden Depths : During the "Bikini Daycare" episode in Season 3, Ashley, who has been a Deadpan Snarker and something of a drunken bimbo to this point, surprises everyone by being great with the kids. She reveals that she is a devoted parent to her young son.
- According to some, Michaels himself for what he's encouraging these women to do. Reviewing the show actually caused one former Poison fan so much pain that he actually registered the domain "bretmichaelsisadouchebag.com" to host his reviews on.
- Lacey an be this to the other contestants.
- Mama Bear : After watching Beverly's interview with Lacey on Talk Of Love, at least two of Beverly's outbursts happened after someone maligns her kids in some way.
- Manipulative Bitch: Lacey and Megan
- My Nayme Is: Destiney
- Times two for Brittaney Starr.
- One Steve Limit: Subverted with Brandi M. and Brandi C., both in season one.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Rodeo and, to a lesser extent, Angelique aka "Frenchie" in seasons one and two, respectively.
- Only Sane Woman: Jes spent much of the time shooting WTF glances at the camera and she was much more Closer to Earth than the other women.
- Beverley and Mindy in Season 3 seemed to be much less plastic surgery enhanced and down to earth than most of the girls. Until the last couple of episodes, when Mindy and Taya's rivalry gets the better of them and Jamie takes on this role.
- Retool: Rock of Love Bus
- The Runner-Up Takes It All: Daisy has since had her own dating show.
- Heather has appeared on several 51 Minds spinoffs including the next two seasons of Rock of Love.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Jackye, Kristy Joe, and Kami. Subverted with Aubry and Melissa since their respective eliminations were mutual.
- Serenade Your Lover: Bret is shown at several points working on songs and playing them for the contestants. In "Duet To Me One More Time," the girls are challenged to write a song about Bret.
- Servile Snarker: Big John.
- Spin-Off: Rock of Love: Charm School, Daisy of Love and Megan Wants a Millionaire.
- Bret would get one of his own: Bret Michaels: Life as I Know It
- Too Dumb to Live: Brittanya
- Tough Act to Follow : Kami's work on the pole is really good...until Taya wows everyone. Taya's song is the best, and poor Mindy, who has the hardest time and really can't sing, has to follow her.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: To the point where in the first season, four unlucky girls didn't even make it to the mansion.
- This is also probably the most frequently used reason for sending a girl home.
- Probably the most prominent example was Mia, who went entire episodes without saying anything in the confessional and whose only interesting scene was deleted.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Ashley tries to convince Bret that Natasha is one, even referring to her as "Nathaniel."