Set in the fictional Dublin seaside area of Red Rock, it focusses on the local Garda station as they deal with crimes both major and minor. As well as, initially, the activities of two local crime families.
This show contains examples of:
- Channel Hop: A temporary one for British viewers - it moved from BBC1 to BBC2 during the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Dirty Cop: Sergeant Brian McGonigle, who has a sexual relationship with a 15 year old girl and when a fellow guard discovers him kissing her on CCTV, he not only has her beaten up, but starts making her look incompetent.
- Later Paudge Brennan, who after getting caught by a drug dealer's runner setting the flat he rents out on fire for the insurance money, is forced to provide information to said dealer.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Version 3. When Katie Kiely becomes pregnant, she decides to have an abortion. As abortions by choice are illegal in Ireland, she books a flight to England to have the procedure done there, but her parents hide her passport. She is eventually given the passport back, but when the father of the child turns up at the airport, she changes her mind.
- Spiritual Successor: British viewers have noticed a strong similarity to The Bill.
- You Do Not Have to Say Anything: The Irish version, which omits the bit about 'harming your defence' now found in the British version.