Red Cap is a British TV series that first ran from 2003 to 2004. It focuses on the cases a unit of the Special Investigative Branch (military police) of the British Army, based in Germany. Ostensibly the main character was Sergeant Jo McDonough (Tamzin Outhwaite), but a strong ensemble cast ensured several characters had prominence. There are two seasons of six episodes each, as well as a feature length pilot.
This show provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Jo.
- British Brevity: The show had just 2 seasons of six episodes each.
- Cowboy Cop: Hippy can be a bit like this.
- Da Chief: Sergeant Major Burns tried to keep a tight leash on his unit.
- Job Title: 'Red cap' is British army slang for a military police officer.
- Officer and a Gentleman: Lt. Giles Vicary and Captain Gavin Howard.
- Oblivious to Love: Sergeant Bruce Hornsby takes quite a while to figure out Corporal Angie Ogden is interested in him.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Staff Sergeant Phillip "Hippy" Roper, thanks to his unruly hair.
- Corps Nickname: The Royal Military Police are known as Redcaps due to the red peaked caps or berets they wear.
- The Squadette: Jo and Staff Sergeants Neve Kirland (season 1) and Harriet Frost (season 2)
- Token German: Despite being set in Germany for the most part, the only German character to appear regularly was Det. Thomas Strauss, who served as a liaison between the military police unit and the local civilian police forces.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Jo and Hippy.