He doesn't get very far, crashing into a communications satellite. Somehow he's able to survive there (they don't really go into it). The satellite also has a very advanced AI, Nano Cybernetic Computer (NAN-CY for short), and Commander Rick is able to use her to hijack the signal for a corny nature program called "Second Nature With Enrico Gruen" and put on his own show, where he interviews various science fiction writers and comic book creators. Usually every episode will have some sort of theme to it, such as "Censorship," "Fans," "Violence," etc.
The rights to POG are in some sort of limbo, so for now you can enjoy them only on the internet, where episodes can be found easily on Youtube or the TVOntario archives website
Tropes used in this series include:
- Acting for Two: Rick Green played Commander Rick and Enrico Gruen
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: NAN-CY is fairly nice most of the time, aside from occasional bouts of snarkiness, but in the episode where she and Commander Rick start arguing over which is better, robots or A.I.s, she gets rather...forceful
- Berserk Button: Commander Rick got angry very easily at the denigration of "nerdy" activities
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: though never seen by the viewing audience, every episode had a topic-appropriate title with the initials P. O. G.
- Hostile Show Takeover: The premise/framing device of the show vis-a-vis "Second Nature"