Planet Earth: Dynasties (also known as just Dynasties) is a spinoff of the Nature Documentary series Planet Earth. Each episode focuses on a specific family of animals from several species: lions, tigers, chimpanzee, emperor penguins, and painted wolves. The series was filmed over the course of four years.
Lion is based around the famous Marsh pride. It starts one August after all the adult males recently abandoned the pride. There are only two adult females, Charm and her sister Sienna, are the only fully adult females in the pride. Emperor Penguin revolves around mating season and the rearing of chicks until they're old enough to be on their own. Painted Wolf revolves around two rival groups that share blood.
This series provides examples of:
- Narrative-Driven Nature Documentary: Planet Earth: Dynasties is a more dramatized documentary than the original Planet Earth. Each episode (besides the penguin episode) focuses on a specific family, such as the Marsh pride of lions in Lion.
- No Name Given: The emperor penguin episode focuses on the penguins as a whole instead of individually. It doesn't name any individual.
- Only a Flesh Wound: After Sienna's heals a bit, she doesn't seem in too much pain despite her open wound. She even almost kills a wildebeest on her own.
- Parental Abandonment: There's a pragmatic example in the lion episode. After the pride is poisoned, Charm is forced to abandon her 1-year old son. He's too weak to walk, but Charm must put the rest of the pride before her son.
- Seldom-Seen Species: One episode revolves around the painted wolf (AKA, the African wild dog). Painted wolves rarely appear on their own in documentaries; they're usually side characters.
- Tampering with Food and Drink: The lions inadvertently eat poisoned meat after coming across cows illegally grazing on lion territory. Most of the pride survives it.
- Wicked Step Mother: Gender Inverted. Because one of Charm's older cubs is too young to breed, the new males have no need for her and consider her just a useless mouth to feed. They kick her out, with the only other option being death. They eventually kick out all cubs, leaving only Charm and her adult daughter Yaya.