Package Deal is a Canadian sitcom about three very close brothers and how that bond is tested when the youngest brother Danny (Randal Edwards) finds love and tries to bring his girlfriend Kim (Julia Vothnote ) into their family.
Premiered June 18, 2013 on Citytv and aired for two seasons.
Tropes present in this series:
- Almighty Janitor: The interns at Danny's law firm wield a considerable amount of power, unbeknownst to the lawyers working there, as Danny finds out when Ryan fills in for an injured intern.Danny: "Thank your friends for me. This new chair is amazing! It heats, it massages, and, I swear it's even got that-"
Ryan: "New chair smell? What can I tell ya? The guys loved ya!"
Danny: "It's not just the chair. I mean, my wifi is faster, my waste paper basket is empty, and, maybe it's just my imagination, but I think the fluorescents have stopped buzzing!"
Ryan: "Yeah, we can pretty much just turn that on and off."
- Get-Rich-Quick Scheme: Sheldon's income is from a series of almost-illegal schemes that he hopes will net him big pay days.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl:
- Nikki is the very definition of this trope and admits to being perpetually drunk. She gives Danny tips on how to deal with severe hangovers (her solution: more alcohol).
- Gillian, Danny's boss, takes Danny out for nights of heavy drinking and doesn't look the worse for wear the next morning while Danny is struggling to stay upright.
- Kavorka Man: Sheldon (played by Harland Williams) isn't the best looking man in the world, nor is he particularly charming, but he's able to sleep with a large number of women because he's constantly trying. One episode has him going on Tinder and becoming depressed because he although he's getting to sleep with a different woman every day, the app takes away the thrill of trying to pick women up.
- Local Hangout: The boys and Kim regularly hang out at The Recess, a basement bar and restaurant. The clam linguine has been known to cause illness, however.
- My Beloved Smother: Ryan took the responsibility of caring for Danny very seriously and continues to baby his brother even though they are now both adults. Exemplified when Danny catches a cold and Ryan drops everything and bring out a cart loaded with supplies tailored for Danny, and only Danny, in order to take care of his sibling. Kim finds it all very odd, but Danny doesn't seem to mind too much.
- Parental Substitute/Promoted to Parent:
- The boys' parents died when Danny was still young so Sheldon and Ryan stepped up and raised him themselves. The fact that Danny turned out to be so well-adjusted even though Sheldon and Ryan are defined by quirks and neuroses is a minor miracle.
- Sheldon occasionally uses the fact that he paid for Danny's education to try and guilt Danny into going along with his schemes.
- Rich Idiot With No Day Job: While not wealthy, Ryan is able to live comfortably without worrying about having to find a job thanks to sizable alimony checks from his philandering ex-wife.Danny: "What exactly do you do everyday?"
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis:
Sheldon: Speaking to Kim "You're cold, inhuman...oddly immune to my powers of persuasion."
- Sheldon and Ryan do NOT get along with Kim because both sides are jealous of Danny's attention being diverted away. At best, they tolerate each other for Danny's sake, but both sides take plenty of shots at each other even when Danny is around.
- Danny is developing one at work with a lawyer named Fitzgerald.Danny: "I hate his stupid face!"
- Studio Audience: This is a traditional multi-cam sitcom shot in front of a live studio audience. Critics noted how unusual this is for a Canadian sitcom, because the Canadian market is mainly made up of single-camera comedies.