An obscure Canadian children's television program that aired on YTV in the 1990s. The premise was quite simple, a farm with talking plasticine animals going on all sorts of adventures... except that the budget was so low that many aspects of the show became absurd, campy or outright bizarre. The nonexistent budget meant that the only people on set were the cameraman and the eponymous PJ Katie. No attempts were made to hide the fact that all the plasticine animals were moved around by hand on screen, and that PJ Katie did all the voices of every character. All episodes were done in a single take, so when the plasticine animals were inevitably knocked over accidentally, the mishap had to be written in. The net effect was rather hilarious.
Seriously, check this out..
This show provides examples of:
- American Football: A good chunk of an episode is devoted to clarifying the differences between the different kinds of football.
- Author Avatar: For some reason, PJ Katie literally made a plasticine avatar of herself to interact with the animals. It was even called PJ Katie.
- Flying Saucer: PJ Katie uses a danish to represent a flying saucer in one episode.
- Gasshole: Blue the horse.
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": Dippe the cat, pronounced DEE-PAY.
- Large Ham: PJ Katie, of course.
- No Fourth Wall
- Off-the-Shelf FX: All the props looked like they were made by PJ Katie herself or bought from the dollar store.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Many of the characters have strong accents that PJ Katie clearly starts to struggle with after a while, as the episode rolls on.
- Spin-Off: Started as a between-show segment as part of the standard "PJ" lineup on YTV.
- Talking Animal: All the clay animals can talk.
- Theme Tune Roll Call: The theme song introduces all of the animals one by one.
- Title Theme Tune:On Katie's Farm, imagination's the rule,Dippe the cat, so calm and cool;Demi and D'arci and Ed come along,Delilah the Cow she's everyone's mom;Bryce the Collie barks and runs free,while Blue the Horse naps under a tree;Percival pig just squeals all the time!Rosebeekee hamster whiiiines!Join the gang for adventures and fun,Katie's farm is for everyone!
- Up to Eleven: In one episode a flying saucer is replaced with a danish; during the credits you can see PJ Katie eating what was obviously meant to be her lunch behind the scrolling titles. This takes No Budget to new levels.
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: PJ Katie did all the voices of every character in the show.