October Faction is a Netflix series that premiered on January 23rd, 2020. It is created by Damian Kindler, and based on the comic of the same name by Steve Niles and Damien Worm.
Fred and Delores Allen, along with their teenage children Viv and Geoff, make a visit to upstate New York following the death of Fred's father to settle his affairs. The twist: Fred and Delores, as long as Fred's deceased father, are members of the international monster hunting agency Presidio, and a short trip becomes a much longer stay as they discover the small town is much less idyllic than it seems.
- Adult Fear: All of your friends and family are murdered by people who believe you are scum to be eradicated—except for your children, who are stolen by your enemies and raised in ignorance of their true heritage. (Albeit they were stolen to save their lives, as Presidio has no problem killing warlock children, and raised lovingly, but still.)
- Anti-Villain: Alice. This character's methods are extreme, but her village was massacred, including, she thought, her children, and she just wants vengeance and her people back.
- Boomerang Bigot: Phillip, who bawled out Geoff for being a "fag" when they first met, is himself in the closet.
- The Enemy of My Enemy: In the season finale, Delores and Alice team up, despite Alice's initial hatred for Delores, as they—and more importantly to them, Viv and Geoff—are threatened by Edith more than by each other.
- Ghostly Goals: Steve remains bound to the world due to his regret over his last meeting with Phillip, as well as Phillip's own inability to get over Steve's death.
- Grand Theft Me: A dead warlock can be summoned into a living body, provided their ashes are on hand. This is Alice's plan—she has the ashes of every warlock Presidio murdered when they destroyed her home, and she summons them back on a mass scale. However, they are not all on board with this, feeling that they have moved on and it's not fair to the people whose bodies they're inhabiting.
- Heel Realization: Fred and Delores have always believed they were protecting innocents by working for Presidio, and are horrified to learn they actually assisted in a genocide.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Alice is Viv and Geoff's biological mother.
- Masquerade: Monsters and the supernatural are hidden from the world at large, not by magic but by the efforts of Presidio.
- Our Vampires Are Different: They don't seem to be undead and lack the typical weaknesses and powers of vampires. They keep they typical fangs, but instead of being longer canines they're retractable and protrude forward from their mouths. They are created from normal humans though.
- Police Are Useless: At first. Gina, the Sheriff, tries to arrest Delores while she's confronting Alice (although to be fair, it does look like Delores is menacing an unarmed woman with a gun to anyone who doesn't know Alice is a warlock), and nearly gets them both killed. However, eventually she wises up to the fact something strange is going on and becomes much more helpful. In fact, when Presidio rolls in, Gina's immediately suspicious and rallies the police force against them to save the town, eventually teaming up with Moshe and earning his respect despite his mistrust of humans.
- Reality Ensues: When an asshole in a bar messes with Delores, she whips out a baton and kicks his ass. The bystanders in the bar are promptly freaked out that she just assaulted someone and she's banned from the bar.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: Samuel Allen's death was faked by Presidio.
- Time Stands Still: Alice's favorite way to spy on people is to freeze everything but herself and just walk wherever she wants to snoop around.
- Van Helsing Hate Crimes: As it turns out, Presidio makes no distinction between actually bad supernaturals and those who are good people just trying to live their lives. The show also takes the tack of making these stack with actual hate crimes—a black warlock points out to his wife Alice that his ancestors weren't just targeted for having magic, they were lynched, and she needs to understand that because their future children will face it as well.
- We Can Rule Together: Edith tells Viv that she should join Presidio and help them study supernatural creatures. Viv flatly refuses.
- Wonder Twin Powers: Viv and Geoff each have their own warlock powers, but together, their blood magic is truly exceptional, busting through the Power Nullifier drug like it isn't there.