Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica was a Reality TV docusoap running on MTV from 2003-05, starring pop singers Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey which chronicled their marriage in hybrid soap opera/sitcom style, and has sometimes been cited as a reason for their eventual divorce. Nick played the normal guy to Jessica's adorable airhead. Hilarity Ensues.
A huge hit for Jessica, though there's dispute as to how much of her stupidity was real; some think it's all an act, others think it's all too real. Looking at her movie choices since then suggests that it wasn't entirely an act.
Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica provides examples of:
- The Brainless Beauty/Dumb Blonde: Guess.
- Catch-Phrase: "Baby!" No matter what her mood.
- The Ditz: Jessica.
- The Everyman: Nick, though as the series progressed he became more of a Deadpan Snarker.
- Jumping Out of a Cake: Jessica does this at a party for Nick.
- Reality TV
- Real Song Theme Tune: Nick's own song "This I Swear".
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: He's the sober Straight Man, she's the highly emotional Genki Girl.