Mustangs FC is an Australian comedy drama TV series aimed at young teenagers and starring Emmanuelle Mattana as the lead character. The show is set in the suburban Australia, and focuses on Mustangs FC, an all-girls soccer team.
A group of outcasts start their own all-girls football team. As well as trying to match up against the boys, they all must juggle their lives and develop into young women while learning what it means to be a true friend.
Mustangs FC contains examples of:
- Ambiguously Bi: Lara is disturbed when she starts developing romantic feelings for Ruby because, as she puts it, "she likes boys".
- The Benchwarmer: Marnie and Liv need a certain number of players to be able to register the team for the competition. Out of desperation, they recruit the very un-sporty Goth girl Bella on the understanding that she will be a 'non-playing player', i.e. she just has to turn up to make up the numbers and will never have to take the field. However, when the team acquires an actual coach, he tells her that there is no such thing as a 'non-playing player' and makes her train and puts her into games where she gradually gains some skills.
- Education Mama: Anusha's mother is a classic Asian 'Tiger Mom', pressing her daughter to excel in academics, music and fencing. Marnie and Liv are only able to persuade her to allow Anusha to join the team by explaining how good participation in a team sport will look on her CV.
- Fat Best Friend: Liv is this to Marnie. Liv knows that she is overweight, doesn't care, and goes out of her way to enjoy life. She is generally more levelheaded than Marnie as well.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: A step-sisters example. Marnie is dark-haired and (mostly) serious, and totally devoted to sport. Lara is a strawberry blonde, beautiful and extremely popular. They continually attempt to one up one another.
- Instant Humiliation: Just Add YouTube!: Marnie is forced to video Lara's gymnastics practice routine in the backyard. When Lara slips and crashes into the fence, Marnie uploads this clip and it goes viral. Lara takes revenge by joining Marnie's soccer team.
- Opposing Sports Team: The Wildcats are the Mustangs most hated rivals. They are the top team in the league, have the best facilities, and have a 'win at all costs' attitude.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Marnie is extremely passionate about soccer.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The Mustangs are comprised of whoever Marnie and Liv could scrounge up to join the team.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Ruby is out as a lesbian and very comfortable with her sexuality. However, Lara is disturbed to discover that she is developing for romantic feelings for Ruby.
- This Is My Side: Marnie and Lara use tape to divide their shared room in half. The episode where they decide to take it down marks a major piece of Character Development.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Stepsisters Marnie and Lara. Marnie is the sports-mad tomboy who founded the Mustangs, and Lara is the girly girl who excels at gymnastics. They have to share a room at home and argue over things like Marnie's smelly sports socks ending up on Lara's side of the room, and Lara's glitter getting into Marnie's deodorant. Lara joins the team mostly to annoy her stepsister, but Marnie can't be rid of her because the team needs her: both to make up the numbers and because she is a brilliant natural athlete.
- The Wildcats: The Mustangs' most hated rivals are the Wildcats.