Mulheres Apaixonadas (Women In Love) is a Brazilian telenovela which originally aired on Rede Globo from February 17, 2003 to October 10, 2003 with a total of 203 episodes. It is created by Manoel Carlos and directed by Ricardo Waddington, Rogério Gomes and José Luiz Villamarim.
Christiane Torloni, José Mayer, Rodrigo Santoro, Camila Pitanga, Tony Ramos, Helena Ranaldi, Carolina Dieckmann, Paloma Duarte, Lavinia Vlasak, Carolina Kasting, Vanessa Gerbelli, Regiane Alves, Dan Stulbach, Vera Holtz, Marcello Antony, Giulia Gam and Susana Vieira the main characters in the plot.
An enchanting tale of the conflicts assailing Helena, a lovely woman in her forties who must choose between her solid marriage and a flaming passion from the past. This movingly poetic tale portrays life through its female characters, showcasing the secrets and simplicity of love and the difficulties of relationships.
Mulheres Apaixonadas provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Santana, the teacher who is even driven out of the school for drinking too much.
- Betty and Veronica: To Claudio, Edwiges is the Betty to Gracinha's Veronica.
- Cool Old Guy: A couple of those in Flora and Leopoldo. To the point that Dóris mistreating them (down to stealing their money) was considered very rude, and even earned her a belt beating by her father.
- Crosscast Role: An in-universe example: For the end of the school year party, the students decided to play some scenes from Romeo and Juliet. Rodrigo was going to be Romeo, but he broke a leg. Then, Rafaela, who knew Romeo's lines because she helped her girlfriend Clara in her rehearsal to play Juliet, took the role.
- Domestic Abuse: Marcos is very violent to Raquel. Heloías also has an unhealthy behavior towards her husband Sérgio, although not nearly as violent as Marcos.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Clara and Rafaela had to deal with the homophobia of their classmate Paulinha and Clara's mother Margareth. Despite this opposition, they never break up and have their happy ending.
- Hate Sink:
- Doris is a spoiled brat who mistreats her kind grandparents cowardly, shouting at them in public, stealing and treating them without the slightest dignity.
- Marcos generated public disgust for being an obsessive and psychopathic misogynist, known as a "racket maniac" for the way he assaulted his wife, using a racket to hit her.
- The homophobic and arrogant Paulinha, who ungratefully despises her own father for being poor, well as, Clara and Rafaela for being lesbians.
- Hot for Preacher: Estela falls in love with Catholic priest Pedro. He eventually abandons clergy life and they become a couple.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Rodrigo has a crush on Clara, but once he learns she loves Rafaela, he becomes very supportive of the couple, even defending the girls from Paulinha's homophobia.
- Kissing Cousins: Diogo and Luciana had a romance in the past, but they broke up due to their family's opposition. They get back together in the end, and, this time, the family doesn't oppose so much. The fact that both of them had disastrous relationships (Diogo with Marina, Luciana with César) after the break up also helped.
- Love Triangle: Lorena, Expedito and Marina.
- Mama Bear: After the reveal that the biological mother of Helena's adopted son Lucas is an ex-prostitute (more specifically, the result of the affair between Helena's husband Téo and the former call girl Fernanda), Helena's sister Heloísa sarcastically says that the kid is "literally a son of a—", but Helena furiously slaps her before she could finish the sentence. Helena, whose maternal feelings for Lucas remained stronger than ever, promised to be even harsher if Heloísa dares to say something like this again.
- MayDecember Romance: Lorena and Expedito.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Clara and Rafaela.
- Show Within a Show: The end school year party had the students performing some scenes from Romeo and Juliet, having Rafaela as Romeo and Clara as Juliet.
- Someone to Remember Him By: After Fred dies, Raquel finds out she's pregnant.
- Taking You with Me: Marcos holds Fred at gun point while they're in a car. Fred manages to make the car fall from a cliff, killing both of them.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Raquel (the teacher) and Fred (the student).
- Yandere: Marcos and Heloisa.