Miracles For Sale is an hour-long Derren Brown special broadcast by Channel 4 in April 2011. It takes the rough form of a documentary exposing the US faith healing industry by training an everyman to mimic their tricks. It's not a neutral or balanced investigation by any means, and evokes a lot of Religion Tropes.
Miracles For Sale contains examples of:
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Derren and Nathan.
- Even Evil Has Standards: The team call off their involvement with a Christian PR company to avoid dragging an innocent man's business into their fraudulent adventures.
- Everything Is Big in Texas
- Healing Hands: The faith healers, or so they claim. Also, on some level, Derren and Nathan.
- Placebo Effect: A short-lived version, consisting of adrenaline and enthusiasm, brought about in audience members at the rallies.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: By Nathan, in front of an audience, with a real-life faith healer looking on.
- The Reveal: When Derren explains the true nature of his recruitment drive.
- Scam Religion: Derren's description of prosperity theology.
- Sinister Minister: The show's portrayal of faith healers.
- Training Montage: As Nathan becomes 'Pastor James.'