After I Love Lucy ended its run, the cast carried on with The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour specials — essentially long "I Love Lucy" episodes (airing as monthly specials rather than a regular weekly series) with greater emphasis on famous guest stars and exotic locations. Over the course of the specials, the Ricardos and the Mertzes encounter Milton Berle, Danny Thomas, Ernie Kovacs and Tallulah Bankhead, and visit Mexico, Las Vegas, Sun Valley and Japan.
Often seen in syndication under the moniker We Love Lucy which splits the hour long segments into two episodes with the first one ending on a "To Be Continued". The DVD boasted the title, "I Love Lucy: The Final Seasons."
This series provides examples of:
- As Himself: Starring Lucille Ball, Desi Arnez, Vivian Vance, William Frawley —— and Little Ricky.
- Crossover: "Lucy Makes Room for Danny" has the Ricardos renting out their house to the characters from Danny Thomas' Make Room for Daddy.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The second comedy hour "Lucy Meets Tallulah Bankhead" showed that the writers hadn't quite gotten the feel for writing one hour episodes yet as if felt like two episodes welded together - Lucy continually embarrasses herself in front of the star, and Lucy must get her to play in the PTA.
- Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: The first episode is a flashback of how Lucy and Ricky first met, which also features Fred with a full head of hair, which he is immensely proud of. Ethel, at one point, suggests he'll lose it one day, but he insists that'll never happen.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Vivan Vance and William Frawley received this (they weren't in I Love Lucy's original opening titles, though they're in the replacement "heart" credits).
- Road Sign Reversal: Ethel does it in the episode "Lucy Hunts Uranium." When everyone gets into a madcap race back to town to claim the money for the uranium they've discovered, Ethel moves a detour sign to throw off the Ricardos.
- Syndication Title: In the 70s the episodes were syndicated as one hour specials under the title We Love Lucy. When Nick @ Nite aired them, they restored the Comedy Hour title (minus the Ford/Westinghouse sponser tags, of course). A recent (March 2012) marathon on the Hallmark Channel had them back to We Love Lucy.
- Title Drop: In the very last episode, "Lucy Meets the Mustache", Ernie Kovacs says the phrase 'take a good look'. Take A Good Look was the name of a comedy/Game Show Kovacs hosted at the time.
- Vacation Crossover: In "Lucy Makes Room for Danny", the Ricardos rent out their Connecticut house for two months to Danny Thomas and his Make Room For Daddy family, as Ricky is filming a movie in Hollywood. Unfortunately, the job falls through at the last minute and the two families are forced to live together.
- Vacation Episode: Frequently. This is reasonable considering that In-Universe only about three or four episodes took place in a given (original broadcast) year.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Fred (the dog) is missing from the hour long episodes. In the episode "Lucy Makes Room For Danny" Little Ricky lists his pets...no dog.
- Wheel Program: The show rotated with other Desilu Studios productions and pilots as part of the Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse.
- Whole Episode Flashback: The first Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour detailed how Lucy and Ricky first met each other and how they met Fred and Ethel.