Los Espookys is a horror comedy series created by Fred Armisen, Julio Torres and Ana Fabrega, all of whom also star in the show. Notable for being HBO's first Spanish-language TV series, it's set in a dreamy, unspecified Latin American country and follows a group of friends kindhearted gore enthusiast Renaldo, mysterious chocolate empire heir Andrés, headstrong and practical Úrsula and ditzy, "indestructible" Tati as they turn their love for horror into a weird freelance business of providing fake scares to those who need it.
This show provides examples of:
- Childhood Friends: Renaldo and Andrés have known each other since childhood.
- The Ditz: Tati has her head in the clouds at all time.
- Dumbass Has a Point: As Renaldo wonders how he can make his friends care about their horror business, the normally scatterbrained Tati tells him that he needs to tailor the job to their wants and needs. As Renaldo thanks her for the advice, Tati reverts to her usual spacey self and doesn't understand what he's talking about.
- Gym Bunny: Juan Carlos, Andrés's boyfriend, is a fitness fanatic who hosts a channel dedicated to workout videos.
- Hero of Another Story: Unlike the rest of the cast, Fred Armisen's character Tico lives in LA and has his own B-story adventures in every episode, unrelated to the main plotlines.
- Hollywood Exorcism: Justified, since Tati is only pretending to be possessed for the gang's first ever Los Espookys gig.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: When she sees Renaldo's card with "Los Espukys", Ambassador Melanie tells him that if he wants an international audience, it's got to be two Os.
- Made of Iron: Tati claims to be this, which is why her job in the Los Espookys business is that of a test dummy.
- My Nayme Is: Renaldo has to clarify that his name isn't Reynaldo (the more common spelling) and is spelled without the Y.
- On One Condition: One episode centers on an inheritance scare: whoever survives the night in a "haunted" mansion gets the deceased millionaire's fortune.
- Perky Goth: Horror fan Renaldo dresses like a typical goth, but he is cheerful, kind-hearted and full of enthusiasm.
- Sexy Priest: The young and very fit Father Antonio.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Brainy, practical Úrsula and ditzy Tati with her array of odd jobs.
- Straight Gay: Andrés has no stereotypical camp traits.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Andrés has bright blue hair and often wears clothes to match.