A One-Episode Wonder
unsold pilot that aired on NBC in 1991. Written by Conan O'Brien
and Robert Smigel, Lookwell
starred Adam West
as Ty Lookwell, a has-been actor who played the title role in a detective show called Bannigan
. He tries to use his TV crime-solving experience (and an honorary badge he received because of his TV show) to solve actual crimes, which he does poorly. West cited this as one of the biggest disappointments in his career when the show wasn't picked up.
This show provides examples of:
- Adam Westing: Duh.
- Captain Obvious:
Detective: We'll do what we can, sir, but this is the fifth lot to have a classic car stolen this week.
Lookwell: Sounds like a string of classic car thefts. You boys better check it out.
- "Eureka!" Moment: Lookwell has several of these in the episode. Unfortunately, they all lead him in the wrong direction.
- Ice-Cream Koan: "You never waste time, Jason. Time wastes you."
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Lookwell thinks he can use his TV crime-solving experience to solve real crimes, but fails.
- Mistaken for Gay: Lookwell goes undercover at an auto painting shop he suspects is painting stolen cars, and makes a wink-wink offer to the shop owners to do any "...special jobs, that need...extra attention." They think he's asking for gay sex.
- Shout-Out: The show mentions the detective shows Banacek and Mannix, as well as the non-existent Brannigan(starring Hugh O'Brian) and Bennigan(starring George Kennedy).