Legit is a comedy series premiering on FX in 2013.
Jim Jefferies plays Jim Jefferies, a bit of a scumbag trying to follow his mother's wish, and become more legit. To do so, he decides to come stateside and assist Billy, a man with muscular dystrophy, and the brother of his other friend, Steve.
Ended after two seasons.
Legit provides examples of the following tropes:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Jim's parents. An overweight attention whore, and a womanizing philanderer.
- Black Comedy Rape: The source of Jim's troubles in "Misunderstanding". He didn't do it of course, but the joke still doesn't fly over with anyone.
- Career Resurrection: In-Universe: Jim's career is in its death throes during season 2, with gigs drying up and no work coming in. Then he gets shot. And he starts selling out stadiums.
- Casting Gag: Carrie Fisher as another character named Angela in "Licked".
- Chocolate Baby: The eventual outcome of Wendy the hookers baby in "Fatherhood"
- Downer Ending: For Billy. After his meds stop working, he winds up back in the home with Rodney, while Steve joins the army and Jim goes on tour.
- Drowning My Sorrows: When he finds out Georgia is getting married to Todd and she's pregnant, Steve goes on a massive booze and drug filled bender during "Weekend".
- Foreign Exchange Student: How Jim came to America. He wanted to get away from his family.
- Gag Penis: Billy is apparently very well-endowed downstairs.
- Handicapped Badass: Throughout "Justice" Billy fearlessly snaps off at the two armed men robbing the house. His disease has apparently taken away his fear of death.
- Hypocrite: Jim calls an English guy on the plane "a Pommy cock" and then accuses an American passenger of racism when he's called a limey, and points out that that's the British not Australians. (A 'Pom' or 'Pommy' is a light slur used against the English in Australia, generally in jest, and isn't taken offense to.)
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Jim's a prick, but he's a nice guy deep down.
- Kavorka Man: Jim has no problems getting laid, despite being a dickish slob.
- N-Word Privileges: What reveals Jim's dream woman as a racist at the end of "Death".
- Show Within a Show: "Red Moon Over Odessa". The movie role Jim's rape joke from "Misunderstanding" cost him. It's getting rave reviews to just annoy him further.
- Talk to the Fist: When Jim tries to keep a sloshed Steve away from his daughter, Steve mocks Katie for aborting Jim's potential kid. Jim promptly decks him.
- Tuckerization: Billy and Steve's last name(Nugent) is Jim Jefferies actual last name(Geoff James Nugent)
- Unfriendly Fire: Steve winds up accidentally shooting Jim when he tries defending him from an angry fan with a gun.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal Steve is not pleased when he finds out Mary Fulcher, the girl he lost his virginity to, became Mark Fulcher. Though through a combination of anger and liquor, he gets over it.Steve: I am proud that I hit that!
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Jim's Ukrainian accent in "Misunderstanding". General consensus is that it sounds more French than anything.