Star is an musical drama series created by Lee Daniels and Tom Donaghy for Fox. It revolves around three talented young singers named Star (Jude Demorest), Simone (Brittany O'Grady), and Alex (Ryan Destiny), who navigate the music business on their road to success. The series, which is set in Atlanta, consists of original music, along with musical fantasy sequences, as dreams of the future. Twelve episodes were ordered, which premiered during the 20162017 television season. Queen Latifah, Benjamin Bratt, Amiyah Scott and Quincy Brown co-star.
The series premiered on December 14, 2016. With the premiere of the series, Amiyah Scott became the third openly transgender person to play a trans major character in a scripted television drama series in America, after Laverne Cox on Orange Is the New Black and Jamie Clayton on Sense8.
On February 22, 2017, Fox renewed the series for a second season, which premiered on September 27, 2017 and crossed over with Empire. The third season premiered on September 26, 2018.
Star provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: You really don't get people with names like Star.
- Ambiguous Gender: Miss Bruce. Who is Gender Fluid.
- Citizenship Marriage: Simone and Angel.
- Domestic Abuse: Hunter & Star.
- Drugs Are Bad: Star & Simone's mom died from drugs. Carlotta, Jahil, and Star's dad were all still dealing with substance abuse while Simone battles her addiction to drugs and alcohol.
- Girl Group: Star, Alexandra, and Simone aka Take 3.
- Mr. Fanservice: Derek, Noah, Hunter, Jackson, and Mateo. Hunter's first scene is him coming out of a swimming pool wearing short swimming trunks.
- Ms. Fanservice: Star herself.
- Police Brutality: Danielle in season one and Noah's friend in season two.
- Rape as Drama: In the Pilot, Simone is raped by her foster father.
- Shirtless Scene: Hunter in season one. Noah and Jackson in season two. Mateo in season three.
- Team Mom: Carlotta.
- Transgender: Cotton. Her pastor father doesn't approve.
- The Verse: Shares a universe with Empire.