La CQ is a Mexican/Venezuelan television series created by Pedro Ortíz de Pinedo, son of Jorge Ortiz De Pinedo
. It was recorded at RCTV Studios in Caracas as a co-production between Televisa and Cartoon Network
La CQ provides the following tropes:
- Barbaric Bully: Roque Villalón. He picks on smaller children(by giving them wedgies) or Monche and Beto. This is subverted when he is around the Del Rio siblings.
- Book Dumb:
- Monche is an exaggerated example of this. He is the most dim-witted student in the entire school.
- Danny isn't very bright, either. When Jenny commented Clara is more simple than the table of 1, Danny replied that she struggled to learn to multiply by one.
- Broken Aesop: A meta example with the actors of the series participating in the "Basta de Bullying" campaign for Cartoon Network, when a big deal of the series' gags revel on school bullying, especially when delivered by Roque Villalón.
- It's even more noteworthy that in the very first episode of the series, we see Roque showing up while giving a random first-grader kid a wedgie as the Del Río siblings walk by him. Adri (rightly) calls it out, only for her brother Ángel to rebuff her and say (what Roque is doing) isn't abusive, but a tradition.
- The Faceless: Whenever the Principal of the school makes an appearance in person, he is always depicted from behind or holding something to hide his face.
- Gender-Blender Name: Danny. This is a subversion, as this is a nickname and her real name is Daniela.
- Informed Attribute: Jenny and her cousin Danny are supposed to be the popular girls, but it's shown the other students don't care about them.
- Lovable Jock: Ángel del Río. He is the most friendly of the jocks in the school.
- Parody Episode: Episode 4 of the fifth season, "Chavo CQ", is a parody to El Chavo del ocho.
- Phrase Catcher: Whenever Danny she says something stupid, Jenny always says "Focus", with Danny imitaing her "Focus" gesture. Interestingly, Danny's speech bubble with the phrase is written with backwards "F" and "S" unlike Jenny's.
- Pointy-Haired Boss: The Principal of the school is a bumbling fool, you wonder how he is not fired.
- Product Placement: The clothes and accesories used by the characters are themed around Cartoon Network shows that were big at the time this series aired, especially Ben 10: Omniverse.
- Randomly Reversed Letters: Danny's "Focus" speech bubble has the "F" and "S" reversed to show she's not bright.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Ángel and Clara. They are so in love with each other, Adri commented that they "spill more honey than a beehive."
- Toilet Humor: Almost always brought by Beto farting.
- Tomboy: Adri del Río is a textbook example of this trope. She always wears a backward cap, is not fond of skirts and dresses, preferring to wear shirts, jackets and pants, and has a skateboard.
- The Rival: Jenny is this to Clara, since they fight over Ángel.
- Written Sound Effect: The series makes use of these for comedic effect.