A series spun off from the Bad Boys films, with Gabrielle Union reprising the role of Syd Burnett from Bad Boys II, with Syd having been transferred to the LAPD. Jessica Alba plays Syd's partner Nancy McKenna.
The show started in 2019, and was cancelled in 2020 thanks to the COVID-19 Pandemic. It was the first series created for Spectrum Originals, a streaming service available to Spectrum Cable subscribers; months after its premiere there, it had a brief run on Fox to fill a COVID-created hole in their schedule.
Tropes associated with this series:
- Badges and Dog Tags: Nancy served in the U.S. Navy before becoming a cop.
- Big Bad: Gabriel Knox is the main threat of Season 1. For a while, both Carlene and Warren used this alias, only for the former to prove herself the bigger threat.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: During the premiere episode's cold open in the store, Syd and Nancey have a casual conversation about Syd blowing off 'Family Book Club' to go on a date while in the middle of a gunfight after walking in on an armed robbery.
- Cowboy Cop: In her pursuit of Gabriel Knox, Syd becomes this.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Both Syd and Nancy.
- In addition to the events with her brother and partner in Miami, Syd was compromised on another undercover assignment which saw her attempt to infiltrate the organization of a major drug trafficker known as Gabriel Knox. After being found out, she was beaten, shot, left to die, and then miscarried her child with Warren. As such, the trauma from it all becomes a driving force for her during Season 1.
- Nancy came from an abusive household where she lived with her alcoholic mother Rosa and her brother Nico. Alongside her first boyfriend Dante Sherman, Nancy resorted to theft in order to get enough money to start a new life with him. Dante eventually and willingly takes the fall for all their crimes after he gets caught. In addition, Nico fatally shot Rosa while she was beating Nancy with a belt, leading to Dante and his brother Ray hiding her corpse. In Season 2, she starts having PTSD from her time in Iraq.
- Diagonal Billing: Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba in the end credits. See also this page's pic.
- Disappeared Dad: Joseph Vaughn, Sydney and Marcuss brother, is this to them. See Like Father, Unlike Son for details.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Carlene proves to be this to Gabriel. In truth, both she and Warren used the alias. Carlene then proves herself to be the real Big Bad of Season 1.
- Fair Cop: It's Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba. C'mon, this was inevitable.
- Fingerprinting Air: A textbook example takes place when Nancy mocked a murder suspect for how he was so smart to wipe the gun clean... except "the bullets inside are riddled with fingerprints."
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: All the post-pilot episode titles reference movies executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer worked on, hence the episodes "Farewell..." and "...My Lovely". The Season 1 finale is titled "Bad Girls."
- In the Blood: Turns out Sydney and her brothers father is ex-LAPD.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: Marcus from the movies Bad Boys is Happily Married and is close with his children and grandchild while his father Joseph is just reconciling with Sydney. Subverted in that he is on good terms with his other daughter and his grandchildren by said daughter
- Meaningful Name: Syd and Nancy... hmmm...
- Missing Mom: The birth mother of Isabel McKenna was killed in a car crash by a Drunk Driver.
- Not What It Looks Like: Finding her daughter working for a website that also involves what appears to be sex toys, Nancy and Syd charge to the company ready to arrest the boss for underage pornography. Then Izzie reveals she's just doing ASMR videos to help folks (like her) handle anxiety and the "sex toys" are for sound effects.
- Real-Life Relative: Nancy's ex-con brother Nico is played by Jessica Alba's brother Joshua Alba.
- Spear Counterpart: Sydney is essentially Mike Lowry's female counterpart.
- Wham Line:
- Sydney is baffled as to why a woman named Kat, who she's never met before, seems to know her and why a gangster is gloating "you thought I'd never find her" before he has Kat shot. The reason becomes clear when Joseph bursts into the hospital and, with a stunned Sydney watching, yells "Where is my daughter?"
- Sydney is thrown for a loop by Warren being upset at her for getting close to nailing Gabriel Knox... until he tells her "I am Gabriel Knox."
- Working with the Ex: To investigate Gabriel Knox, Sydneys division works with the DEA, which includes Sydneys ex-boyfriend Warren Hendrix. If that wasn't awkward enough, Warren turns out to be one of two people using the Gabriel alias.