Being first aired on 26 May 2009, the show is regularly aired every Friday on 10:30 p.m. Oliver Welke is the anchorman being surrounded by a team of "correspondents" and "experts". Main focus of the often cynical and satirical comments are issues that are the subject of the latest political discussions in Germany, but also of other countries.
The Series quickly became popular, winning the Deutscher Comedypreisnote five years in a row.
- The Cameo: The Mainzelmännchen, often in a not so family-friendly manner.
- Chewing the Scenery: Gernot Hassknecht during his temper tantrums.
- Equal-Opportunity Offender: They pull everyone's leg.
- Insane Troll Logic: Whenever an "expert" gets interviewed by Welke, they will come up with a theory like this.
- Meaningful Name: Gernot Hassknecht ("Hass" meaning "hatred").
- Medal of Dishonor: During the end-of-year review, the "Goldene Vollpfosten" ("Golden Dumbass", lit. "golden fullpost") will be conferred, being a golden painted post decorated to resemble the winner (e.g. the one for Donald Trump had a yellow wig on the top).
- Running Gag:
- Gernot Hassknecht getting a meltdown and the ZDF interrupting him before he can say something inappropriate.
- Welke getting called fat.
- Ulrich von Heesen's age and drug consume.
- Albrecht Humboldt's fanatical devotion to the CDU and his love for Angela Merkel. As well as his inability to get with women.
- Self-Deprecation: Making fun of the ZDF, especially the fact that the age of the average ZDF-viewer is 60.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Gernot Hassknecht usually begins his monologue with a calm, collected voice until he can't hold it anymore.
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: The ZDF regularly interrupts Gernot Hassknecht's monologues before he reaches his Rage Breaking Point.