Here We Go is a Dom Com by The BBC which first aired on 29th April, 2022. It was first aired as a standalone pilot titled Pandemonium in 2020, before it was picked up as a whole series and underwent a Sudden Name Change.
The show centers around a family called the Jessops, who struggle through the highs and lows of life, including the changing of careers and the sabotage of a wedding. Said family includes Paul (Jim Howick), who has self-esteem issues, Rachel (Katherine Parkinson), the optimistic matriarch, Sue, the grandmother (Alison Steadman), who is willing to break the rules, Robin (Tom Basden) and his overbearing partner Cherry (Tori-Allen Martin), Amy (Freya Parks), who likes to tease Paul, and Sam (Jude Collie), who's recording all their actions for a school project.
Together, the family finds that, even though there are challenges, they will always find a way to survive.
This show contains the following tropes:
- Anachronic Order: The pilot frequently jumps around 2020 as we see how the family is dealing with COVID. This is a trait carried over to the series proper.
- Birthday Episode: "Mum's Birthday Voucher" is kicked off when Rachel receives a voucher to Jungle World Adventure Park on her birthday which is valid for 6 months.
- Breakfast in Bed: In "Mum's Birthday Voucher", Paul brings breakfast in bed up for his wife Rachel, seeing how it's her birthday and all. Unfortunately, he tries to open the door whilst also carrying the tray containing the breakfast, leading to him dropping it after Rachel goes to unexpectedly open the door herself.
- Drop-In Character: Though both justified by family relationships:
- Amy's girlfriend Maya is away at university and due to the long time frames covered by each episode, she'll frequently be visiting them at some point.
- Robin and his girlfriend Cherry will frequently drop in. Cherry tends to appear more sporadically due to their on-off relationship.
- First-Person Peripheral Narrator: Sam functions as this, being the person behind the camera filming his family's antics.
- Home by Christmas: A variant: Rachel tries to calm Paul by claiming that Covid-19 will have passed by September. Of course, anyone watching this when it came out would have known that this ended up being incorrect.
- Horrible Camping Trip: The Jessops are forced to go on a trip to Margate after their Californian trip is canceled, and no one is really that thrilled with the trip. For bonus points, it is punctuated by dull camera light and ends with their car falling off a cliff.
- In-Universe Camera: The action the audience sees is done via the camera held by Sam at all times.
- Long-Distance Relationship: Amy is having one of these with her girlfriend Maya, made necessary due to COVID-19. She's struggling with it and is considering calling the whole thing off but Sue encourages her to keep doing it.
- Pet's Homage Name: In "Mum's Birthday Voucher", Sue ends up caretaking for her neighbor's dog, apparently named for Lord Sugar.
- Pilot: First aired as a standalone episode under a different title ("Pandemonium") in late 2020 before being picked up for a full series in 2022.
- Relationship Revolving Door:
- Amy and Maya never explicitly break up, but they have a very strained relationship by Maya starting university. Episodes often show Maya cooling on Amy and possibly cheating on her before inexplicably coming back to her.
- Cherry and Robin have a more on/off relationship, but they "only" break up twice - at the end of the pilot and near the end of Series 1.
- Tempting Fate: As the Jessops celebrate all that they're going to accomplish over 2020, Sam brings up about the threat of a virus from China but everyone brushes him off as a "doomster" and they say that they're going to have a great year. Cut to October, and none of what they wanted has been achieved thanks to COVID-19.
- Vacation Episode:
- The initial pilot centres around the family attempting to have a holiday in Margate in October after their hoped-for holiday in California was canceled due to COVID-19.
- Downplayed by "Dad's Bronze Medal", which is about the family going to spend a day or two at their friend's house.
- The last episode of Series 1, "Our Holiday in Scotland", is set over a holiday in Scotland.