Miles Finer (Brandon Micheal Hall), an outspoken atheist and podcaster, is sent a friend request by a Facebook account named God. This account directs Miles to people who will need help of some kind. Despite his initial skepticism, Miles follows these suggestions. Along with his friends Rakesh Singh (Suraj Sharma) and Cara Bloom (Violett Beane), he helps people, while also trying to determine who is behind the "God account".
God Friended Me is an American Dramedy series that premiered on CBS on September 30, 2018. On January 29, 2019, CBS renewed the series for a second season.
God Friended Me provides examples of:
- Big Applesauce: The show is set in New York City.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Characters that Miles helps often turn out to be important later. For example, Miles saves the life of his first friend suggestion, John Dove. Later in the episode, John Dove happens to be nearby, happens to be a doctor, and happens to save the life of another of Miles' friend suggestions.
- Got Volunteered: God sends multiple friend requests before Miles accepts one. Then Miles tries to figure out who is behind the "God account", but also why they picked him.
- Hollywood Atheist: Miles' mother's death leads to his atheism.
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship: Both Miles and Cara are concerned about this.
- In Mysterious Ways: God sends Miles friend suggestions, likes things, and checks into locations. None of it makes sense at first, but we eventually see how it all fits together.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Miles is convinced that a person is behind the "God account", but the series leaves its nature ambiguous.
- Podcast: "The Millennial Prophet" is Miles' podcast.
- Refusal of the Call: Miles refuses God's friend requests at first.
- Secret Keeper: Averted by Miles when he openly talks about the "God account" on his podcast.
- Special Edition Title: The first "God Friended Me" title card sometimes has a thematically relevant variation. For example, an image of the Leaning Tower of Pisa in "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" (S1E16), or an image of a package in "Return to Sender" (S1E18).
- ¡Three Amigos!: Miles, Rakesh, and Cara. Towards the end of the first season, we also meet Henry, Simon, and Pria.
- Will They or Won't They?: Miles and Cara are obviously close, to the point that other characters often assume that they are a couple.