Get Set For Life was a children's programming block on CBC that ran from January 2000 to September 2003. It featured Alyson Court (of The Big Comfy Couch fame) and Michael Clark as hosts. They would hang out in Alyson's attic, do activities and interact with the viewers. Their segments would frame programming such as Arthur, Clifford the Big Red Dog and The Save-Ums!. The block was named for a partnership between CBC's childrens programming department, the Invest in Kids foundation, and Canadian Living magazine. It's fondly remembered by Canadian late 90's-early 2000's kids, but there's hardly any information at all about it circulating online, let alone any footage from the block.
Get Set For Life provides examples of:
- Every Episode Ending/Signing-Off Catchphrase: "And remember: Go out and play, and have a blast of a day! See you next time!"
- Forgetful Jones: On at least one occasion, Alyson played a character named "Mrs. Forgetful." One time she enlisted the viewers' help to make a shopping list.
- Framing Device: The block took the place of commercials, although sometimes commercials for shows on the block would be shown.
- Genki Girl: Alyson shows off a few traits from time to time.
- Limited Wardrobe: Alyson and Michael had their regular outfits and their Space Case outfits.
- No Fourth Wall
- Once per Episode: Alyson running to get her slippers.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: The CG characters Radio and TV. Alyson also appeared in the intro and a few Eye Catch bumpers alongside abstract animated characters.
- Shout-Out: Alyson has plush toys of characters some of the shows featured in the block, such as Rolie Polie Olie, Franklin, Clifford the Big Red Dog, and Noddy.