George & Leo is a sitcom that ran for one season (199798) on CBS, starring Bob Newhart as George Stoody, an uptight bookstore owner in Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, and Judd Hirsch as Leo Waggonman, a small-time crook and magician from Las Vegas who comes to town when their respective children, George's son Ted and Leo's daughter Casey, get married. Leo had been estranged from Casey for years but was invited to the wedding by Ted, and ends up staying, much to the annoyance of George.
The show also featured an early role for Jason Bateman as George's son Ted.
Includes examples of:
- Disappeared Dad: Leo was this to his daughter Casey for many years before coming back into her life in time for the wedding.
- Chekhov's Gun: In "The Thanksgiving Show", George notices Leo's tie. During the episode, he asks Leo not to be involved with his recently-divorced niece, which Leo promises but doesn't keep. At the end, George informs Leo that he found his tie in the guest bedroom where she was sleeping. But subverted in that that scene ended up being a dream.
- Expy: "The Cameo Show" features cameos by many of Bob Newhart and Judd Hirch's former co-stars from their previous sitcoms, many of them basically playing expies of the characters they'd played on those shows.
- Fake Video Camera View: "The Nanny" begins with this when Leo video records what's going on in the waiting room at the hospital where his grandchild is being born.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every episode title starts with "the".
- Oh, Crap!: George at the end of the first episode when he mentions to Leo that the bookstore used to be a home and still has a bedroom, upon realizing that Leo will want to move into that bedroom.
- Slipping a Mickey: In one episode, George throws a party, seeing that he's been a little uptight, Leo decides to pour some alcohol into the punch bowl, only for George to decide to do the same, and Ambrose also spikes the punch, all three of them unaware of the others doing it.
- Wrong Name Outburst: In one episode, Leo is involved with a woman who mistakenly shouts George's name during sex. And in the next episode, when they set out to get married, she mistakenly does it again during the wedding.