A spoof of the Prime Time Soaps of The '80s, this comedic Mini Series chronicles the lives of the Kensington family, and their struggle to survive in the cutthroat world of the raisin business. With all the scheming, backstabbing, twists and turns, it doesn't look good for them. But for the viewers, it's a hell of a good time.
Aired on CBS in 1986. The cast includes Carol Burnett, Dabney Coleman, Gregory Harrison, Teri Garr, Natalie Gregory, Charles Grodin, Anthony Heald, Bill Paxton, Jerry Van Dyke, Jeffrey Jones, and Tom Poston.
This show contains examples of:
- Acme Products: Acme Toxic Waste is disposed of in the water supply.
- Affectionate Parody: Particularly of shows like Dallas and Dynasty.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: "These grapes taste like Fresno!"
- BrotherSister Incest: Subverted. Tiffany thinks she and Torch are related, due to Torch being Mr. Kensington's illegitimate son, and Tiffany being the daughter of Charlotte Kensington and Tyler Kane, but Torch points out that doesn't mean they actually share parents between them.
- Cat Fight: Parodied by having it be like a knock down bar brawl.
- Cool Car: Averted. The cash strapped Kensingtons have a chauffeured The Brady Bunch era station wagon instead of a limo. However, such as it is, it seems to be in good working order, keeping it out of Alleged Car territory
- Costume Porn: The gowns were very fancy (and got Bob Mackie an Emmy nomination), and this was given a nod In-Universe when Charlotte wondered if the family troubles meant they had to sell their things, and Cane assured he wouldn't sell their clothes.
- Distant Prologue: Spanish explorers first come to this place, and name it after how nasty the grapes taste.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry
- I Have No Son!: Subverted. At then end, Charlotte says this after she learns of Cane's betrayal, but then Cane reminds her of Kevin. So Charlotte amends that to she just has one son.
- Jail Bake: Parodied. A guard assumed this, and searched food brought to the prison for tools, while a lady behind him just handed a prisoner tools while the guard's back was turned.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Three times. Once with Torch, and twice when Tiffany finds out who her real mother and father are.
- Name of Cain: Cane Kensington, and Tyler Cane."I want you do something for me, Cane, if you're able."
- Pretty in Mink: Couldn't properly spoof those shows without this. In one scene, Talon storms out on her husband, Cane, and looks through a closet of furs before settling on a lynx coat. She later wears the coat to try to seduce Torch.
- The Reveal: Some played straight and others played laughs.
- Shout-Out: In reference to the family's.. complex.. genealogy: "My God, Mama, this is worse than Roots!"
- Title Drop: Parodied with the title being a word to describe how nasty the grapes taste.
- The Unfavorite: At one point Charlotte wails that all of her children have abandoned her, with her adapted daughter still sitting right there at the table. And it later turns out she actually is Charlotte's biological daughter.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Every other time Torch appears.