Extra 3 is a german Satire program that focuses mainly on political humor as well as the absurdities of everyday life, in a segment titled Der Reale Irsinnnote .
It started in 1976 on the Norddeutscher Rundfunk developed and hosted by Dieter Kronzucker and has since then had almost a dozen different presenters. It is now hosted by Christian Ehring. The program in its current form mostly consists of Ehring doing short monologues covering different political topics of the past week which are linked by pre-taped segments.
While always somewhat known, the show stepped into the national spotlight in 2016, as after publishing a Song Parody criticzing Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the german ambassador to Turkey was summoned to meet with the Turkish president and Turkey demanded the removal of the video. The situation escalated further, when Jan Böhmermann in part in response to the absurdity of the situation did an intentionally offensive poem on his show prefacing it with "you are not allowed to say that on television". Well turns out, you can't and Böhmermann almost got thrown into jail under a 19th century law on leise majeste. However, the law has since been changed, which may or may not have been the point. A year later, extra3 produced a second song critizing Erdogan.
For some reason they really do not like Deutsche Bahn, featuring them negatively in their "realer Irrsinn" segment even for stuff that - upon careful investigation - actually has good reasons for being done the way it is done.
- Ax-Crazy: How Horst Seehofer and the rest of the CSU are portrayed.
- Arch-Enemy: The Deutsche Bahn, as mentioned above
- Blatant Lies: Firmly insists that it's the only german Satire program.
- Butt-Monkey: Alexander Dobrindt is treated like this.
- Crossover: With Walulis Sieht Fern, who produce short clips that parody various genres of television, and with Der Postillon, which present Postillon 24, a series of news parodies.
- Honest John's Dealership: Johannes Schlüter selling german weapons
- Hypocritical Humor: Often pointed out.
- Insane Troll Logic: Used frequently as would-be solutions to political problems.
- Everyone hates the shortened Gymnasium (from nine years to eight years)? Johannes Schlüter proposes the G2, in which every student graduates after just two years of secondary education (for better integration into the modern job market).
- Lawful Stupid: Often encountered during the Der Reale Irrsinn segments
- New Job as the Plot Demands: Johannes Schlüter, native-born Göttingen, who has had every job imaginable, from specially appointed expert on various topics to literally piloting politicians from inside his Kopfpit.note
- Self-Deprecation: One of the people that Johannes Schlüter pilots was Christian Ehring himself as revealed during the 40th anniversary gala.
- Shout-Out: Plenty.
- The diesel scandal was presented as Car Wars - Die Rückkehr der VWdi-Ritter
- The slow death of the SPD was made into a "movie" entitled SPDirb langsam
- Their coverage of Angela Merkel's 2017 campaign was titled The Neverending Boredom
- Johannes Schlüter as a representative of a special interest group for car makers was presented in a skit titled House of Cars
- Song Parody: Almost every week covering almost every political topic available.
- Tag Line: Der Irrsinn der Wochenote
- Title Drop: During the Opening Narration
- We Didn't Start the Billy Joel Parodies: Mia San der FC Bayern