El privilegio de amar ("The Privilege of Loving") is a Mexican telenovela that ran from 1998 to 1999. It's a remake, by Liliana Abud, of 1985's Venezuelan telenovela Cristal written by Delia Fiallo.
El Privilegio de Amar contains examples of:
- Adaptational Villainy: The priest's mother. In the source material Cristal, although she was a religious fanatic and not quite a good person, she wasn't the serial killer she's here. And the HeelFace Turn she had in the original is absent from this remake.
- Adaptation Name Change: Most of the names from Cristal were changed: Victoria Ascanio became Luciana Duval; Alejandro Ascanio became Andrés Duval; Luis Alfredo became Victor Manuel; Priest Ángel de Jesús became Priest Juan de la Cruz (in this case, retained the Christian motif in both versions). Basically, only (co-)protagonist Cristina kept the same first name, altough the surname was different.
- The Alcoholic: Barbara, who is Victor Manuel's biological mother.
- Artistic License Religion: When Father Velarde's mother "confesses" the identity of Luciana's (and his) daughter. He could have told Luciana the identity of her daughter right away since the seal of the confessional only applies if you are genuinely remorseful and contriteful. His mother was neither.
- Broken Pedestal: Cristina used to admire Luciana. After Cristina and Victor Manuel (Luciana's stepson) fell in love with each other, Luciana's social class prejudice made her wrongfully see Cristina as a Gold Digger, so she acted in a very cruel way towards Cristina. Luciana had a change of heart after she learned that Cristina is her biological daughter and sincerely apologized to her, but Cristina was so hurt and resentful that she refused to forgive Luciana.
- Rebuilt Pedestal: Luciana regained Cristina's affection and respect after she saved Cristina from a murderous Tamara, nearly dying in the process.
- Confess in Confidence: Father Velarde cannot reveal the identity of Luciana´s daugther because of this. See Artistic License Religion above.
- The Danza: Actor Andrés Garcia plays Andrés Duval.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Luciana has a great deal of remorse and angst because of this
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Luciana, especially after learning that she's mother of Cristina.
- Good Stepmother: Despite the many flaws Luciana had before her Character Development, she always cared a lot about her stepson Victor Manuel, considering him as a son. Part of the reason why she acted cruelly to Cristina is a misguided attempt to protect Victor Manuel from whom she erroneously considered a Gold Digger. In a sad irony, she treated him much better than she treated her biological daughter Cristina, while she was unaware of their family ties.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Luciana, in relation to Victor Manuel's love interests. It was played both ways: Cristina, the one she considered a Gold Digger, is actually a good woman who really loves Victor Manuel; Tamara, whom she considered the ideal wife to him, was actually a selfish person and a terrible wife, derailing into an Ax-Crazy along the plot.
- Long-Lost Relative: unbeknownst to both of them, Luciana is Cristina's mother.
- Mama Bear: Luciana defended her daughter Cristina from Tamara twice. First, when Tamara slaps Cristina during a discussion, Luciana furiously slaps Tamara in respose. And, in the finale, Tamara attempts to kill Christina with a dagger, but Luciana once again intervenes and fights Tamara, being stabbed during the fight. Thankfully, she survives due to a blood donation from Cristina.
- Must Make Amends: Luciana tries to repair the mess she caused in Cristina's life, after finding out that Cristina is her daughter.
- Mutual Kill: Tamara and Nicolás Obregón.
- My Beloved Smother: Tamara´s mother
- My God, What Have I Done?: Luciana's reaction when she learns that the girl whose life she tried (and nearly succeeded) to ruin is her biological daughter.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: Tamaras attempt to kill Cristina in the finale not only failed miserably, but also led to Cristinas reconciliation with Luciana. Prior to this, Cristina was very resentful towards Luciana due to the latters past misdeeds and unwilling to accept Luciana as her mother. Then, Tamara's attempt made them save each other lives: Luciana fights Tamara and saves Cristina, who, in turn, donates blood to save Luciana after the latter gets stabbed by Tamara in the fight. As a result of all this, they eventually forgave each other and started a very affectionate mother-daughter relationship (Cristina began to refer to Luciana as mother from the moment the latter got stabbed, terribly fearing to lose her).
- Parting Words Regret: Near the finale, Cristina was still unable to forgive Luciana for the latters past mistakes and doesnt want to be close to her. After a bitter farewell, Luciana leaves the scene and Tamara sneaks in and try to stab Cristina. When Luciana hears the fight, she rushes to save Cristina and is stabbed by Tamara, who flees the scene. Then, Cristina burst in tears and regrets the harsh words she said to her. Fortunately, Luciana survives and the two get along.
- Reformed, but Rejected: Luciana, especially by her daughter Cristina, who only forgives her after Luciana is stabbed by Tamara in the finale, while trying to save Cristina.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Priest Juan de la Cruz (John of the Cross).
- Tears of Remorse: Luciana, during her My God, What Have I Done? moment.
- Cristina, during her Parting Words Regret moment.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Luciana, after learning that Cristina is her daughter. She became much nicer, not only to Cristina, but also to Lizbeth, Andrés (repairing their damaged marriage) and Victor Manuel.
- Yandere: Tamara.