One day, a normal young man named Jiro Tanaka moved from Tokyo to Fukuoka to see his childhood friend Yuki, whom he hasn't seen in 17 years. He was saved by Ohgaman when Yabai Kamen was about to do him in! Seeing some potential in Jiro, Ohgaman trusts Fukuoka's safety in his hands! Now as a hero simply known as "Rookie", can Jiro able to be the hero that saves Fukuoka?
DogengersNote is an independent tokusatsu series that premiered on April 12th, 2020 and consists of 12 episodes. It's a crossover that brings together all of Fukuoka's Local Heroes into one show. The show quickly gain a small but dedicated following due to its quirky writing and respect to tokusatsu genre as a whole.
A second season, officially titled Dogengers: Nice Buddy, was announced for an April 11th, 2021 release and aired on Tokyo MX, unlike season 1 where it premiered on KBC (Kyushu Asahi Broadcasting). It introduced a new hero named Great-Z, played by Katsuhiro Suzuki (Red Buster, Kamen Rider Quiz), with Mr. Kamen Rider himself Seiji Takaiwa serving as his suit actor. You can watch the trailer here.
The Dogengers suddenly lose their popularity due to a scandal, thus canceling their highly anticipated second season. Now they are making a living doing stage performances in front of small audiences (consisting of their friends). Standing before them is a new hero of justice Great-Z, who announce that he's going to take Yabai Kamen and his cronies as villains for his upcoming TV show. In order to reclaim their popularity (and getting their second season Un-Canceled), the Dogengers must sneak in to this new show and save the Secret Society of Darkness from the clutches of Great-Z.
"Take these tropes and sleep":
- 24-Hour Armor: Jiro is the only one who can switch between human form and hero from, every other hero and villain wear their suits literally anywhere. Averted in Nice Buddy with Great-Z who has a civillian idendity, Riku.
- Affectionate Parody: Of Toku in general, but in style of Local Heroes. The superpowers are real, but characters fight like they would in a kids' stageshow and behave like normal people when not busy.
- A Hero to His Hometown: The very idea of Local Heroes is this.
- As Himself: The Tagline seems to imply that the heroes are actors who played themselves in a TV show.
- BBC Quarry: A toku staple that pops up at the end of episode 1 through the beginning of episode 2.
- Big Good: Ohgaman.
- Big Bad: Yabai Kamen.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ohgaman saves the heroes and Jiro from Yabai Kamen in an epic fashion.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall:
- When Yabai Kamen explains his evil plan in the form of an animation, the heroes comments that the editing is terrible.
- Kita-Q-Man and the other heroes tells the audience to write articles about Yabai Kamen on Wokipedia after a brief exposition about the villain in question.
- After Ohgaman gave Jiro his own transformation device at the beginning of episode 2, he dramatically announced the opening is about to start.
- Calling Your Attack:Fukuokalibur: Yabataka Slash!El-Brave: Brave Impact!
- Childhood Friends: Jiro and Yuki are this.
- City of Adventure: Fukuoka Prefecture is depicted as this.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Yamashiron is actually a fusion of three Ranger-like heroes; Redron, Aoiron, and Daidairon.
- Combat Commentator: Minor villain of the Secret Society of Darkness Shaberryman serve this role while getting his butt kicked by the heroes in the first episode.
- Combat Medic: Ohgaman in a nutshell.Ohgaman: Solving the leftover medication problem and protecting the peace of Fukuoka are my sworn duties.
- Corporate-Sponsored Superhero: Out of all the heroes, Yamashiron is the more obvious example of this.
- Dirty Coward: Kita-Q-Man full stop. The guy would rather run away and let his fellow heroes do all the fighting, much their annoyance. All because his suit limits his movement.
- Idol Singer: I-Doll is said to have a really good voice. Also helps that her name is a pun on "idol."
- Ninja: Shuraomaru is one. A really good one.
- The Comically Serious: Fukuokalibur is said to be "Fukuoka's number one most serious and earnest hero." Shuraomaru contrasts heavily with the rest of his co-workers at Secret Society of Darkness.
- Tsundere: I-Doll towards Yabai Kamen. Emphasis on her "Tsun".
- This Is a Work of Fiction: The tagline reminds us that the story is fictional. It comes up again when Gulf blows up a building for kicks.
- Those Two Guys: The wolf monster brothers Gulf and Garia.