The series follows the Diwan extended family, who live in the suburbs of Mumbai in an ancestral bungalow, as they deal with various family problems such as business troubles, in-laws, and similar.
Dekh Bhai Dekh contains the following tropes:
- Affectionate Nickname: In episode 4, Balraj refers to Suhasini as "Suzie" in his sleep. Suhasini does not hear him when he mentions this is just a nickname, thus getting her worried that he's having an extramarital affair with "Suzie".
- Alliterative Name: One character is named Durgadas Diwan.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: In the first episode, as Sanju is on the phone, he has his Modesty Towel taken off, leaving only his underwear intact. He's asked if he has any shame in it, only to reply that the person he's calling can't see him.
- Forgetful Jones: Balraj is very bad at remembering stuff. The first episode has him invite his company chairman for dinner, but forgetting to inform the others.
- Gratuitous English: Random bits of English are used here and there; for example, in one episode, a character says "How sweet!"
- Laugh Track: A laugh track is often used in this show after a joke is made.
- Mistaken for Cheating: In episode 4, Suhasini suspects Balraj is cheating on her with someone named Suzie when he mentions that name while talking in his sleep. "Suzie" is actually an Affectionate Nickname he gave Suhasini, but she enters the room after he mentions this.
- Multi-Part Episode: Episode 5 comprises two parts and involves Sunita, Chachi's mom, visiting the house.
- Newhart Phonecall: Any time anyone makes a phone call, the person being called cannot be heard speaking. For example, in episode 1, Sanju calls Sunita, but Sunita's voice cannot be heard.
- Non-Fatal Explosions: In episode 36, the Diwans are given a bomb by the delivery man. They then tie the bomb around him; when the bomb explodes, the delivery man is visibly singed but is otherwise perfectly fine.
- Saving the Orphanage: In episode 2, Noorani the Don tries to destroy the Diwan residence so that he can build a 5-star hotel in its place. Predictably, the Diwans don't like what he's planning and try to stop him.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Balraj talking to someone named "Suzie" in his sleep sets up the conflict of episode 4, where Suhasini assumes this "Suzie" is someone he's dating behind her back.