Dark Shadows (later referred to as Dark Shadows: The Revival) is a television series which aired on NBC from January to March 1991. A re-imagining of the 196671 ABC daytime gothic soap opera Dark Shadows, the revival was developed by Dan Curtis, creator of the original series.
This 1991 version of Dark Shadows tells a streamlined version of the original storyline — the arrival of governess Victoria Winters at Collinwood, vampire Barnabas Collins being released from his coffin, Dr. Hoffman's attempt to cure Barnabas' vampirism medically, and, finally, Victoria's time travel back to 1790 to witness the events in which the still-human Barnabas is transformed into an undead creature.
This series features examples of:
- Adaptational Attractiveness: The much younger-looking and sexier Ben Cross in comparison to Jonathan Frid as Barnabas.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Willie.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Not to the level of the 1970 film House of Dark Shadows, but definitely a bit more graphic than the original Dark Shadows series.
- Canon Foreigner: Daphne Collins, a cousin of David and Carolyn with unseen, presumably deceased parents; technically God-Created Canon Foreigner as the first five episodes of the show were co-written and directed by original series creator Dan Curtis.
- Composite Character / Promoted to Love Interest: Though a Maggie Evans does exist in this series, this version has Victoria Winters in her place as Josette's doppelgänger and the DoppelgängerReplacementLoveInterest for Barnabas.
- Creepy Child: David.
- Crusty Caretaker: Willie, even before the series picks up.
- Death by Adaptation: Joe Haskell
- Kissing Cousins: Barnabas with both Daphne and Carolyn. Just kissing (and vampire biting), mind you.
- Large Ham / Evil Is Hammy: Ben Cross as Barnabas..."WILLIE!!!!!!"
- Local Hangout: The Blue Whale.
- The Lost Lenore: Josette.
- Lovecraft Country: Collinsport.
- Nostalgic Music Box: Belonged to Josette.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Angelique.
- Posthumous Character: Sarah Collins appears mostly as The Ghost to warn the characters, particularly Barnabas and David, of bad tidings.
- The Renfield: Willie, of course.
- Revival: It is one of Dark Shadows.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Barnabas.
- Spooky Painting: Quite a few around Collingwood.
- Sycophantic Servant: Willie, especially to Barnabas.
- What Year Is This?