Case Histories is a BBC drama series based on a series of novels by Kate Atkinson. It takes its name from the first novel in the series, and has also adapted two other books, One Good Turn and When Will There Be Good News?, featuring the same characters. It stars Jason Isaacs as former police inspector turned private investigator Jackson Brodie, his life marred by a failed marriage and family tragedy.
This series contains examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: The second series started with an adaptation of the one remaining novel, followed by two original stories with input from Atkinson.
- Adaptational Name Change Quite a few. Reggie Chase becomes Reggie Teague in the series, for example, with her employer Mr Hussain becoming Mr Akbar. The killers surname from When Will There be Good News? Is also changed from Decker to Jones.
- Fake Nationality: The series is set in Edinburgh, leading to several of the actors affecting Scottish accents.
- Once an Episode: Somehow, Jackson always gets beaten up.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Amanda Abbington's Scottish accent can slip a bit.
- Parental Incest: The cause of the main case in the first two episodes. Olivia, the little girl who was missing for more than 30 years, was suffocated by her sister Sylvia. Sylvia had noticed the glimpse of intent in their father's eyes, so she killed Olivia in order to spare her the trauma becoming a victim of their father's sexual abuse like she was.
- Scenery Porn: Set in Edinburgh and filmed on location, the show takes full advantage of the stunning backdrops the city has to offer.
- Secret-Keeper: Jackson for Joanna Hunter, after she kills her kidnappers. He helped her to cover up their deaths so that she and her son wouldnt have to deal with the resulting media circus.
- Ship Sinking: Done spectacularly in the second series. Jackson goes on a date with Louise, but calls it off before they eat, lying that he could never love her. Julia then gives birth to a baby which may or may not be Jackson's, but tells him that he's just a friend who helped with the baby.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Reggie of the final story. Jackson's daughter Marlee too.