Blue Water High is an Australian show targeted to teens that ran for three seasons from 2005 - 2008. Each seasons followed a different group of Australian surfers who had been chosen to take place in a year long training course at the Solar Blue Academy, at the end of the year there would be a final surf off and the best male and female would win a ticket on to the pro circuit. Season one brought us Rebecca "Bec" Sanderson, Dean "Edge" Edgely, Perri Lawe, Matthew "Matt" Leyland, Fiona "Fly" Watson, Heath Carroll and Anna Petersen. Craig "Simmo" Simmonds was head coach while Deborah "Deb" Callum took care of the management and Jilly ran the household and looked after the surfers. Season one quickly became a big hit with various related competitions were held and even live interviews which fans could watch online.
Season two had Deb moved back to management buildings while Fly decided to be a coach at the academy. The new surfers were Eric Tanner, Amy Reed, Mike Kruze, Brooke Solomon, Corey Petrie and Rachel Samuels. The second season wasn't as well received as the first, with the main problem being overly dramatic. It was still popular.
Season three came after almost two year of waiting and brought with it lot of changes. Solar blue had been purchased by a company that didn't really want to keep funding it, giving an in-universe version of Executive Meddling. Simmo had been fired, Jilly had left and Bec had been given the job of head coach. Garry Miller was soon chosen as trainer. The students this year were Guy Spender, Charley Prince, Adam Bridge, Bridget Sanchez, Loren Power and Cassie Cometti.
Blue Water High is notable for being one of only two Australian teen shows to receive three seasons for the decade 2000-2009, the other being H₂O: Just Add Water.
This series provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Generally one at the end of each episode but no particularly egregious examples.
- Attractiveness Isolation: In one episode, Matt is afraid to ask Perri to the dance, because she's the pretty glamour queen and he assumes she has already been invited by many boys. His friends also tease him because he has no chance with her. It turns out at the end that no one asked her to the dance for the same reason.
- Back for the Finale: Simmo in season three, Deb in season two.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Fly
- Break the Haughty: This is what has happened to Edge on the pro circuit before his cameo appearance in season 2
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Eric and Guy.
- Comically Small Bribe: Anna once suggested Simmo keep Deb occupied by offering her vouchers to a PG-rated movie.
- Cool Big Sis: Fly played this role in season two, Bec switched between this and Team Mom depending on the situation in season three.
- A Day in the Limelight: Fly gets two in season 2.
- The Determinator: Once Anna puts her mind to something she will not stop.
- Disappeared Dad: Eric's ran away when he was young.
- Fake Guest Star: Jilly who appeared in more episodes than anyone but Simmo, Fly and Bec
- Fanservice: It is a show about surfers after all.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Edge, his parents were almost always on the pro circuit when he was growing so he's gotten used to doing everything on his own (don't worry his parent's left him with his grandparents) and can't let anyone see the softer side.
- I Call It "Vera": Matt's board Angelina.
- Limited Social Circle: Apparently averted but as we see none of them hanging out with anyone but each other this is an Informed Attribute
- Motor Mouth: Eric.
- Nice Gal: Fly. The first time we see her she wishes her opponent "some good waves and good luck" with a heartwarming smile. Her opponent's response? She tells her to stay out of her face and damages her surfboard. Fly isn't even angry at her, just shocked.
- Oh, Crap!: Given whenever one of the surfers plan is found out by Simmo.
- One Crazy Night: In "Dreams and Dramas", the group attempt to keep Fly out of the house while they organise her surprise party. This results in Fly and Heath getting stranded miles from home, being caught in the rain, taking shelter in a caravan, the owner of the caravan towing it away, and them accidentally setting fire to the van while they attempt to signal the driver. Meanwhile, the others are holding a party without the guest of honour, which turns into a Wild Teen Party when gatecrashers arrive.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Simmo, Bec, Edge and Fly.
- Oven Logic: Edge applies this in an early episode of season one.
- Ship Tease: There is no indication of a relationship between Deb and Simmo for all of season one, except for the episode where they go to the kids prom equivalent together, in the same car.
- Shirtless Scene: The male surfers have a lot of these.
- Sibling Rivalry: Bridget and her brothers.
- Spoiled Sweet: Perri loves to spend her father's money on expensive clothes, she is pretty and can be a bit shallow but she's also cheerful, nice and a loyal friend.
- Stern Teacher: While Simmo is more laid back concerning the behaviour of the kids, Deb can be quite intimidating. YMMV of course.
- Talent Double: While the actors were given some surf lessons most of the surfing was done by these.
- Team Dad: Simmo
- Team Mom: Jilly in seasons one and two, Bec switches between this and Cool Big Sis depending on the situation in season three.
- Token Minority: Seasons 2 and 3 feature one of these amongst the main kids. The German national probably also counts for Season 1. In the last season it is Eka Darville before he became the Red RPM Ranger.
- True Companions: Due to being stuck in a house together with almost no spare time all three groups eventually become this during their stay, unfortunately once they are back in the real world this stops being the case.
- Two-Teacher School: Well one teacher and one prinicpal.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: The show is set in a surf school.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?
- Wild Teen Party: A fairly mild example happens in first season. Possibly unique in that the kids decide to come clean about it themselves rather than trying to cover it up.
- Will They or Won't They?: A lot of season one is spent asking this about Bec and Edge.