Blessings 2 is a 2018 Singapore time travelling drama and the sequel to the 2014 drama Blessings. It stars Shaun Chen, Chen Hanwei, Rebecca Lim, Paige Chua and Zhang Yaodong.
It is one of the only few Singaporean dramas to get a sequel after Unriddle, C.L.I.F. and You Can Be An Angel Too.
Blessings 2 contains the following tropes:
- Alternate Timeline: After ruining his great-grandmother's marriage, and trying unsuccessfully to get them back together, Lian Daxi creates one of these in which his great-grandmother is someone else.
- Anachronistic Soundtrack: When Daxi first meets Luna, she is singing the 100-year-old classic "By the Light of the Silvery Moon". This turns out to be important.
- Arc Words: "祖先保佑" ("zuxian baoyou") which means to ask for blessings from your ancestors.
- Arranged Marriage: Daxi's great-grandparents were involved in this and later fell in love with each other, but in the new timeline Chunxian runs away from the arranged marriage and causes a change in the timeline.
- Butterfly of Doom: When Daxi first journeys to a past, he convinces the girl who rescued him, Chunxian, to not marry someone she doesn't like. She turns out to be his great-grandmother, but that's only what he thought, and his later attempts to get them together causes them to develop feelings. After he goes back to 2018, however, he finds out his grandmother was Juehui, meaning they were never supposed to be together, and Daxi had screwed up.
- Can't Take Anything with You: Averted as Daxi manages to take his things on his first trip to the past, and later his things and the pocket watch back with him to the present.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Qingshan in the present day causes the family to go bankrupt via scam, ruins the pregnancy of Xuan by causing her to think Daxi is committing adultery and finally pushes Daxi into the pool, all because his grandfather got ditched in the new timeline.
- Express Delivery: Xian gets pregnant immediately after using great-grandma's remedy.
- Family Business: Xi Ji bakery. This is why Daxi is so desperate to save it and end up going back in time.
- Gone Horribly Right: Daxi, upon returning to the past, convinces the girl he first meets to ditch her pre-arranged marriage. It works, however the girl just happens to his great-grandmother and this causes a shift in the timeline, or so he thinks.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Daxi's first trip to the past. He derails his great-grandparents' marriage and does not solve Saiding's problem, causing another trip back in time.
- Identical Grandson: A number of examples:
- Saiding and Qingshan are played by the same actor, Zhang Yaodong, which clues the audience in on the fact that they're related.
- Imagine Spot: Daxi has many of these.
- Period Piece: Since this show takes place in 2018 and 1918 it can be considered as one.
- Spoiler Opening: The opening credits contain many future plot details.
- The Stinger: Every episode has one, in which an event in that episode is told again from another character's point of view, which is important in establishing continuity and connecting characters together.
- Title Drop: Everytime someone says "祖先保佑".
- Tragic Keepsake: After Daxi returns to the present, the watch Chunxian gave to him becomes this.