Bamses Julerejse (Bamse's Christmas Journey) is a Danish Julekalender that first aired in 1996 and since in 1999, 2005 and 2012. It is based on the Danish children's television series, Bamses Billedbog (Bamse's Picture Book)
The three good friends Bamse ("Teddy"), Kylling ("Chicken") and Ælling ("Duckling") are going on a journey to the land of Santa Claus in order to deliver his gift wrapping paper, curling ribbons and To-From-cards. On the way, they meet Santa's son, Kravlenisse ("Climbing Elf", named after a Danish type of Christmas decoration), whose only wish is to dispose of Christmas forever.
Bamses Julerejse provides examples of:
- Animated Credits Opening
- Christmas Elves: Kravlenisse is one, but seems to be like a regular human except for his clothes.
- Christmas in July: Meta example. Several of the scenes are filmed in the summer, so we see Bamse and his friends walk around in flowery fields in the middle of December.
- Christmas Miracle: Bamse's jumping jack is implied to be the embodiment of one.
- Dreaming of a White Christmas: One of Bamse's big wishes throughout the series. He (sort of) gets one.
- Group Hug: The three main protagonists do some once in a while.
- Let There Be Snow: Bamse's catch phrase during the series is essentially "let there be Christmas, let there be snow, let there be presents". His jumping jack makes a small amount of snow every time he wishes.
- Santa Claus: Yes, he is there. His face isn't actually seen, however. At the end, the old and traditional-looking Santa retires, and Kravlenisse becomes the new Santa Claus.
- Santa Clausmas: Religios themes aren't mentioned one single time in the series.
- Saving Christmas: Santa has lost his wrapping paper and other things which means he can't wrap presents and distribute them to the children. According to both Bamse and Kravlenisse, Christmas is not Christmas without presen,s so the former tries to save Christmas by deliver the wrapping paper back, while the latter tries to ruin Christmas by making sure Santa will never git his wrapping paper back.
- The Grinch: Kravlenisse is portrayed as one, except that the only aspect of Christmas that he really hates is cutting and wrapping presents.
- The Unintelligible: Kylling and Ælling just like in the series. The only intelligible things Kylling says are "Bamse", "Tivertifald" and "Basta!", while Ælling never says anything but quack.