Ballers (stylized as ballers) was an American Comedy Drama following a former NFL player (Dwayne Johnson) in his new career as a financial manager and dealing with football players and their friends, family, and entourages.
The series aired on HBO for five seasons between 2015 and 2019.
Tropes for the series:
- Celebrity Paradox:
- It's not necessarily canonical, but the title sequence shows Dwayne "The Rock' Johnson in his playing days at the university of Miami.
- The season 5 premiere begins with Johnson's character reading The Flight is Our Fight by Elizabeth Warren... a book in which, on the very first page, the TV show itself is mentioned.
- Dare to Be Badass: The motive for most of the characters.
- Everyone Went to School Together: Ricky, Charles and Julie all went to University of Miami at the same time.
- Happily Adopted: In the episode "Ride and Die," Spencer starts to tell Joe a story about his father.Joe: What, your real dad or your adopted dad?
Spencer: Asshole, my adopted dad is my real dad.
Joe: Good, I didn't want to hear a story about you searching for your biological father.
- Money Dumb: Spencer Strasmore is a former NFL football player who was hit by this trope during his days as a sports star. He earned a lot of money but he put most of it into stupid investments and had the rest embezzled by crooked managers. When an injury forced to retire from football he found himself with very little money. Learning from his mistakes, he got a job at a financial management company that handles money for sports stars. As a financial manager it is his job to avert this trope on behalf of his clients who are earning millions but are prone to spending their money as fast as they receive it. Spencer has to go to great lengths to convince them to invest for the future so they do not repeat his mistakes.
- One-Word Title:
- Soft Water: Averted in a flashback in "Protocol Is for Losers." Spencer tells a story about how he was hurt jumping off a cliff into lake as a boy.
- Tagline: "Legends Don't Die. They Reinvent".